Bermondsey Spa Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 11 October 2005 11.20am
Well, this is beginning to loko more like a park again, as the lawns have begun to sprout.

But is is really any better than the proper old-fashioned park that was there before? Does having curvy railings make it more attractive than having straight railings? Does having lumps and bumps in the lawns increase attractiveness? And what about those roses.

I'm betting that it won't be used any more than the old park - which was great for practising casting a fly rod as it was flat.

The man from the council planning department I spoke to at the Spa planning meeting the other evening said it was great because the park hadn't cost any money - being paid for by the developers of the GP surgery on the bottom corner on the site. That misses the point that money has been spent - and the millions could have endowed a park keeper (complete with peaked cap) for ever.
Tuesday 11 October 2005 1.25pm
Blimey there's no pleasing some people. This new park will have facilities, while the old one had none (cafe, toilets, creche, play and picnic area I believe) and the old park was just full of a few rows of dried up rose beds and the occasional gypsy site.

Congratulations Southwark for having the foresight to dovetail the cost with the new Medical centre/residential block on the sothern corner. I cant wait for it to open.
Tuesday 11 October 2005 3.49pm
cafe: there is one on Grange Road just by the entrance to the park.

toilets: all public loos have long since been closed to avoid 'unpleasant' social activities.

play area: weren't there swings and roundabouts in the old park?

Don't get me wrong, I wish the new park the best of luck. I'm just unconvinced that it will have been money well spent - when the cafe and creche are not patronised, the loos are a den of iniquity and the play area is neglected. This isn't the city where parks are filled at lunchtime by green-craving city workers. This is Southwark.

Tuesday 11 October 2005 5.43pm
Mapmaker

You are cordially invited to come for a lunchtime stroll in Tanner Street Park, or Leathermarket St Park, and meet some of the many many local residents and office workers who enjoy our excellent amenities here in Southwark, SE1.

Regards

Niall
Wednesday 12 October 2005 10.06am
Good on you Niall - I'm looking forward to the new park. I'm sure you'll like it Mapmaker. I agree, it does look a bit 'modern' but it will be used if we encourage activities in there.
Wednesday 12 October 2005 11.29am
>lunchtime stroll

Probably not today in view of the weather, but thanks, Niall.

If that's true, then fantastic. Still don't understand why it wasn't used before though in that case. (The gypsies were a late addition to the site.)

Call me an old cynic - time alone will tell!
Friday 14 October 2005 7.23pm
I've waited years for this park to finally happen.

Sadly, the best early years of my children lives have been spoilt by the absence of a playground - which formerly had been adequate, then closed, then dismantled, then abandoned, then travellers moved in, then truckloads of dumping started, then the slow process of eviction, then the site had to be decontaminated because the council had taken sooooo long to get on with it and to take away all that asbestos and dumped chemicals. Me? angry??
I am looking to the park finally being open but I would tend to agree with
the mapmaker.
Thursday 15 December 2005 2.16pm
Does anyone know when this will re-open- its all looking very exciting, although the December deadline is looking a tad optimistic I fear...
Wednesday 15 March 2006 10.49pm
The publicity has been rather poor, but the park will be officially opened on Saturday (even though it's not quite finished).

Here are the details I noted down from the banner this evening:

Spring Fete
Saturday 18 March 12 noon-4pm

Ice rink
Food stalls
Street theatre
Children's entertainment
Arts & crafts
Music
Sports activities

Although the banners tell you to go to the Southwark website for more info, I searched it comprehensively last weekend to see if this event was actually happening (so I could include it in Monday's SE1 Direct email) but I could find no trace of it.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 10.59pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
Call me an old cynic - time alone will tell!

Nice to see that some things don't change. ;-)

Flying visit ? Anyway, welcome back MM.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: