Cameras on Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 19
Monday 17 October 2005 11.08am
I couldn't believe it when I read here some time ago that the police were using the security cameras on Tower Bridge to issue speeding tickets.
Now I have conclusive proof. This morning I received a demand form the Corporation demanding to know the identity of the driver of my car who was crossing the bridge at 2.16 on the morning of 8th October. There are photos attached showing the car in isolation on the bridge and the speed was checked at 33mph.
My mind boggles that, at this time of high secsurity alerts, the police have nothing better to do than this!
Maybe ocal residents should now campaign to have the ridiculaous speed limit of 20mph raised to 30mph. It can hardly do any harm since in the daytime it is usually difficult to do more than 5mph.

Related news & features

Monday 17 October 2005 11.51am
Sorry to be a 'negative vibe merchant' - but I'm sure that the 20MPH limit is there for a reason. The bridge is a Grade 1 listed structure, I believe, and is quite delicate - as you will know from the number of times it gets stuck in the 'up' position.

The road surface is in a bad state - as it has to be repaired using the same materials as it was when first constructed - so going at 20 lessens the impact of wear and tear. We've had it closed a month, less than a year ago for re-surfacing. Do you want to lose it again?

Radical suggestion, but perhaps you could try keeping to the speed limit ?!
Monday 17 October 2005 12.06pm
How can I argue against such impeccable reasoning! The logical extension to this is that if the bridge cannot do the job it is intended to do it should either be treated as a tourist attraction and closed permanently to traffic or knocked down so as to restore the view of the Tower of London from the south bank that has been blighted by it for the last 100 years!
Monday 17 October 2005 12.12pm
Or maybe you could try leaving the house five minutes earlier!

and even if the speed limit was 30 - you would still have been speeding!
Monday 17 October 2005 12.27pm
Just found this - which may help to clarify matters!

Monday 17 October 2005 12.37pm
Thanks for your comments and help - I will retire wounded with my tail between my legs!
Monday 17 October 2005 12.59pm
I was 'done/caught' (whatever) a few weeks ago, turning North out of Queen Elizabeth St onto the bridge - the only Signage I have seen is only a few metres beyond the corner and drivers are too busy checking to the right for traffic coming up Tower Bridge Road to see the sign.
Monday 17 October 2005 1.01pm
While we're on the subject of the police using cameras for traffic enforcement - why don't they prosecute all the illegally parked Tour Coaches on Queen Elizabeth Street and Tooley Street - all are within camera range.
Monday 17 October 2005 1.17pm
The 20mph sign on the Northern corner of Tower Bridge is small and badly sited. I expect that a carefully prepared defence including measurements, photos etc would suffice in getting "speeders" off their fines. On a linked point the bridge is so narrow in places that in order to share the lanes with cyclists it is imperative that motorists should keep their eyes on the road and not on their speedos! Please could we get permission for cyclists to use the large pavement area. Safer for everyone.
NOTE: I do not approve of breaking the existing 20 mph limit. However I do see it's implimentation as another cock-up by them that know no better. You know who you are!
Monday 17 October 2005 4.44pm
"keep their eyes on the road and not on their speedos".

Can I just clarify that I have never worn Speedos while driving/cycling/walking in the Tower Bridge area.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 19

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: