chicken shop of horrors

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 7 November 2002 3.21pm
what were the planning dept think of in approving the hideous frontage of the ‘chicken cottage' on borough high st?! It's an absolute eyesore in the only relatively unspoilt section of the road. I'm the sort of person who reads planning notices, (sad, I know) but I don't remember seeing ‘application to for red, blue and white, KFC-like plastic-y chicken shop' amidst row of well-preserverd (listed?) buildings, eg established-looking chartered surveyors, Field and Sons estate agents, etc..

Tas is modern and eye-catching, but it doesn't detract from the old wooden frontages of neighbouring businesses. This sort of shop should either be made to comply with more subdued neighbouring frontages, or be put somewhere where it'll do less visual damage! (..and of course there'll be even more greasy detritus to step through of a Saturday morning).

Is there any point complaining to the council, does anyone know?
Friday 8 November 2002 4.22pm
Yes - do complain to Southwark's planning department.

It almost certainly needs advertisement consent if it is in Borough conservation area and it is back lit (i.e. there are fluorescent tubes behind the plastic fascia).

However, any enforcement action may take some time...
Monday 11 November 2002 6.34am
I hate all the 'sameness' of plastic shop signs too -if it's an attempt to get the custom of passing traffic and encourage them to come in and taste their plastic tasting wares - by the time travellers found someonewhere to park - the shop would have closed!
I'm the same opinion as you Helen , it's totally out of place, why can't the council act quickly? they act quick enough when my council tax payment is late!

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
Wednesday 20 November 2002 10.06am
In areas like Windsor, Bath etc these type of frontages are not allowed and although the insides of the outlets looks similar the outsides must maintain the overall look of the area. The local planning department stops this kind of the development, you only have to walk through the City of London to see this, for example around the exterior of the Royal Exchange which featured at the end of Bridget Jones Diary. Southwark are more interested in making a fast buck from fast food shops who seem to change hands quicker than a Paul Daniels card trick than preserving what little heritage, culture and good taste remains in the area.
Wednesday 20 November 2002 6.06pm
Yes, in Windsor, these frontages are not allowed. So you get Mcdonalds and the like presented in fake Ye Olde Worlde plastic!

I'm trying to work out which looks worse, the shiny red-white-blue of a chicken-shack place, or the cheesy attempts to pull in the tourists in places like Windsor.

In my home town of York, they've built an outlet shopping centre, complete with plastic vikings and plastic viking boats. Tasteful!
Wednesday 20 November 2002 6.08pm
the shop is in the Borough High Street conservation area and the sign would need planning permission. Why not write to the council planning dept. If planning consent has not been obtained they can be prosecuted for not changing the sign. It is most unlikely that the council will have granted permission (if asked) for the frontage.
Thursday 21 November 2002 3.09pm
I have just reported it to Southwark Council (020 7525 5438) - they said that there are no reasons why anything out of keeping would be allowed in the conservation area and are sending the enforcement team to have a look at the Chicken Cottage . I'll let you know how I get on, but a couple more calls might focus their efforts and get prompt results. The planning officer's name is Caroline.
Thursday 21 November 2002 4.45pm
thanks, JR, I was just about to 'ask austin' who to contact at the council as I can't find my way around the planning dept website - will speak to caroline, now
CS
Monday 25 November 2002 11.07am
Nice work JR Hartley. I will send an email or something.
Wednesday 17 August 2011 6.08pm
Chicken Cottage or Rat Cottage!

Let me tell you one thing about Chicken Cottage at 62 borough high street, london, se1 1xf, is a complete hell. Once I with my friends went there to eat chicken. First of all we had to deal with the chimpanzees (till persons), which was a horrible experience. There was no place to sit and eat, and we were smelling the sweats of other customers. eeeh... The worst of all was a dead rat in chicken box.

And then we never went back there.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: