Pub Quizzes - reviews/details

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 20 October 2005 8.35am
The nights are drawing in, so rather than healthy outdoor strolling, pub quizzes are the obvious entertainment alternative. This pops up here as a topic from time to time, so maybe worth a quick trawl of the area to see what's around. Here's my 2p worth, based on Tuesday and Wednesday this week...

The Charles Dickens, Union Street. Wednesdays 7.30-ish
Friendly general knowledge and picture quiz, 40 questions, takes an hour or so, cuddly toy for a prize but this may change as it gets busier (first one for a while was last night as they relaunch the quiz). Mind you it was a very nice teddy bear, we should have won that tie-break question :-( Nice food available from the kitchen and a serious need (and plenty of space) for more participants. Free to enter.

The Southwark Tavern, Southwark Street. Tuesdays 8.00
4 rounds plus music and picture round - mostly focused on younger quizzers (trying not sound too bitter and twisted just because we didn't know the music questions!). Very noisy/lively, food available - grrreat sausages... Very, very full, (it's in the downstairs area) but you can reserve tables in advance. 2 per person to enter, winner takes all (over 100 on Tuesday), but some very large teams, some of whom spent the entire evening on the mobile to their friends who were clearly online with Google, which was a bit irritating (and they still didn't win...). A bit hard to hear the questions though, and as much a drinking session as a quiz (which may sound perfect to some).

We'd love to know of any others in the area, so feel free to add some info.

no connection etc etc except as a quizgoer (one of many failings).

Thursday 20 October 2005 1.28pm
The Roebuck, Great Dover Street - Tuesdays at about 7.30 (in the upstairs function room).

Quite studenty, but the questions aren't overly focussed on the young, menu at the Roebuck looks ok, but I haven't eaten there yet.

2 entry pp, all the entry money goes on a single 'jackpot' question at the end, which you have to get exact to win - if no winner the money rolls over, pot gains about 120 each week - not sure if anyone won it this week or not. There are additional prizes for 1st/2nd place in the quiz proper, and you can't do the big money question unless you've been there the whole night. It went on until about 10.15 when we were there last.

No connection etc etc
Thursday 27 October 2005 10.58am
Tried to go the Charles Dickens quiz last night but apparently it starts at 6.30 - pretty early for a quiz methinks.
Thursday 27 October 2005 4.47pm
mmm, frustrating... We went last week for 6.30, and they started at 8 - "we were waiting for enough people...". So the three tables of us that were there agreed with quiz man to start at 7.30 for 8 this week, but we got there at 7 to find they'd started ! He ran the quiz a second time for us at 8 though, and next week it is starting at 7.00 - still early by normal quiz standards, but I think the plan (if there is a plan) is to capture the after-work crowd and keep them there a bit longer. The main thing in building up quiz trade is consistency of start time, but 7.00 is ok, if still a bit early.

Do try again next week (getting there about 6.30 to get a table), it is a nice quiz, just pitched right to get the brain cells moving, and if enough turn up it may develop in to a really good evening. And as it only lasts just over an hour, it's ok to do on a work night without feeling too guilty/tired/emotional afterwards.

Wedensday 7pm Charles dickens, Union St (nice range of beers and ok food too)

No connection, just pleased to have found somewhere pleasant for a midweek outing.

Monday 28 November 2005 4.52pm
I know its not in SE1...

...but its only a kilometre or two Westwards in Vauxhall

There is a very good pub quiz at the Wheatsheaf, South Lambeth Road, SW8 every Thursday evening starting at roughly 8-8:30. Its totally unlike other pub quizes as its run on a bingo format over four or so rounds - each round having a 5 prize. There are bonuses too the details of which its hard to remember.

As a result of the difference in format there is not a team of resident beardy old men who always win (which Ive found in lots of other pub quizzes I have entered), theres also lots of banter and nobody takes it too seriously which is always good

The Wheatsheaf is also not a bad pub - its certainly cheaper than many in the area, does good food and offers a traditional pub experiences rather than the pine, wine and candles of All Bar One and clones.

Further details including a fuller description of the quiz are available at

(no connection to the Wheat beyond being a regular satisfied customer)
Wednesday 28 December 2005 8.49pm
The Roebuck Quiz night will re-start on Tuesday 24th January.

I have followed a previous discussion on quiz nights, and although we have been running to capacity for the last 2months, I felt it only fair that you should all at least know about the best pub quiz in SE1!!!
Top Quizmaster
Jacpot round
Quirky Questions
Competitive enough, but not so intense.

If you are at a loose end on a Tuesday, come along - but make sure you get in early, by 7.30pm we are usually turning people away!

Tuesday 24 January 2006 3.08pm
MBibe, 173 Blackfriars Road 020 7928 3693 does a monthly quiz, next one Feb 7th. Gets very popular so you need to book a table, but it looks worth a go, so we'll be trying February's. Just booked a table - they call you on the day to make sure you're going, sounds well organised at least...

5 per person but that includes 2 free drinks, up to 7 people in a team. Food available. 7pm start, 7-8 rounds. First prize two bottles of champagne, 2nd prize cocktails, 3rd a round of drinks, so it's fun rather than riches...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 24 January 2006 3.09pm by markandjoan.
Friday 24 February 2006 4.31pm
I just saw this on newsletter... I've included the other pubs for the sake of completeness, but The Royal Oak looks the place to be for a night of furrowed brows and brain-pain next Tuesday. Just in case anyone fancies their chances... no connection, just wish I could be there...

Brain of London
28 February at 9pm

“Brain of London 2006” Qualifying Round takes place on Tuesday at 9pm. The Qualifying Round consists of 50 written questions and answers to be completed on the night at one of the following venues:

Five Bells 66/70 Streatham High Rd SW16 1DA Nearest Station: Streatham Hill Organiser: Robert Willer

Priory Arms 83 Lansdowne Way SW8 2PB Nearest Tube: Stockwell Organiser: David Lea

Royal Oak 44 Tabard Street SE1 4JU Nearest Tube: Borough Organiser: John Moran

Calthorpe Arms 252 Gray's Inn Rd WC1X 8JR. Nearest Tube: Kings Cross Organiser: Sunil Rao

Hand & Shears 1 Middle Street EC1A 7JA Nearest tube: Barbican Organiser: Tony Lawrence

Bread & Roses 68 Clapham Manor Street SW4 6DZ Nearest tube: Clapham Common Organiser: John McDonnell

For further details, please email Richard Jones:

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: