Polish Delicatessen - Pierogies

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 21 October 2005 4.40pm
I noticed a shop selling Eastern European foods on the first floor of the Elephant & Castle shopping centre (by the loos at the entrance to the rail station). Maybe you could try there too...
Friday 21 October 2005 7.28pm
Thanks Connie, will have to check that one out.

Directions to Lithuanica: where the busses come out of London Bridge bus station and rejoin Borough High St at a traffic lights, there are two roads which join B H St at that lights. Take the left one, ie. not the one where the busses are, but the other shorter one. The shop is on the left, with a predominantly green front. Its open after 6pm.
Tuesday 25 October 2005 5.04pm
Hurrah!!!!
Pierogi are indeed the best.
And despite a million Polish voices saying their mother makes the best, the truth is that they are very easy to make and, with a bit of juggling with the propotions for the dough, a consistant winner.
The classic potato/onion filling hides a little kurd cheese in the mix and the trick is to keep it subtle.
My aunt in Krakow makes pierogi with wild mushrooms and pork liver and IMHO I have never tasted any as good.
The trick is to make a mountain-load ( 200+ was not unheard of in our family kitchen ) and boil them in small amounts in as big a pan as you can muster.
Hot butter IS mandatory - even with the sweet variety ( strawberry, cherry, apricot with raisins etc..)
Any you feel you cannot manage at the time ( not very likely! ) can be plunged in boiling water for half a min., cooled and frozen.

Tuesday 25 October 2005 6.11pm
We had something similar in eastern Slovakia when we went to stay with our au pair's family, made with potato. They were made by the grandmother, who wore national dress and kept pigs. My son loved them. Indeed he ate so many that she made a fresh batch for him the next day.

There is a Slovak deli in Streatham. We drive past when going down the A23, but have never been in.

Is there an entrepreneurial Central European who might set up a special SE1 supply. The first order might be for the cider making weekend.
Friday 2 December 2005 10.17pm
Hi ladies and gents, just thought I'd let you know that I finally checked out Lituanica and got potato pierogies (2 bags go for about 1.75). I just cooked them up tonight with butter and fried onion and they were delicious.
Saturday 3 December 2005 12.53pm
I was told last night by another SE1 resident that pierogi are indeed available at the Polish shop on the New Kent Rd, and also at a Turkish deli on the Walworth Rd, near the Iceland shop.
Sunday 4 December 2005 11.11am
I use the Lithuanian shop at Tower Bridge (where else but lovely London for East St market, kippers, and then this place? Forget Borough tourist mkt), but these potato things are a waste. What's wrong with mashing your own spuds to your taste instead of buying these machine-made products? A spud's a spud... bash 'em yourself.
Sunday 4 December 2005 12.42pm
I must admit I have found most frozen Pierogi to be (unsurprisingly) very disappointing, and that includes the ones from the Lituanian shop. But in the quest for yummieness, I carry on looking for them. Unlike Janorak, I dont find them easy to make - its not that there are any difficult skills, its just that they take HOURS! We do them in my family before Christmas, in a mass production system like in Janorak's family. In view of the time it takes to make them, they are definitely a treat.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network