Only some ghastly dehumanised moron would want to get rid of the Routemaster."

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 24 October 2005 12.54pm
Guess who said that, and when.

This in the SE1 context that by Christmas there will no longer be Routemasters running in any part of London.
Monday 24 October 2005 1.30pm
Ken Livingstone I think - no idea when though.

To be fair he was being a bit over-dramatic when he said it!
Monday 24 October 2005 1.34pm
Shortly after his election in 1999.

Second quiz question for the day: 'Who has been the driving force for the abolition of the Routemaster?'
Monday 24 October 2005 1.45pm
Doctor Who?
Monday 24 October 2005 1.49pm
I'm going to go for Ken Livingstone on the second question.

Should we expect anything other than duplicitous double-dealing from our politicians?

Actually I don't think that this is necessarily hypocritical. Back in 1999 when Ken was an ordinary Londoner he presumably had an ordinary Londoner's affection for the iconic Routemasters. He expressed this affection in an over-the-top way but this is not to diminsh how genuinely it was held I'm sure. However since being elected and having responsibility for transport in London he has presumably had to give up on "affection" and start making "hard-headed" decisions based on business cases. I have no idea where the pro's and con's of Routemasters V bendy buses lie but I'm guessing from the tough decision he made that Ken clearly believes the balance lies in the bendy bus camp. If that's the case I'm glad we have a Mayor who makes a tough, correct choice rather than an easy, popular one.
Monday 24 October 2005 2.22pm

I love Routemasters, but now being the father of two young children, I can appreciate the merits of more modern buses.

Monday 24 October 2005 2.27pm
I understand that Routemasters are more fuel efficient than most other buses ... I await the correction on that! Anyhow, as a cyclist I would rather have Routemasters, Bendy Buses are lethal, I don't care how well 'they' claim the drivers are trained, the things are very unpredictable and I've had more near-misses with them than any other type of vehicle.
Monday 24 October 2005 5.43pm
>Back in 1999 when Ken was an ordinary Londoner he

What after he was elected he was an ordinary Londoner? Glad to hear it. Whereas now, presumably, he is beyond the electorate?

Anyway, 'right' on the second question. 2/2, Gold Star for you, Neil!

I was on a bendy bus that managed to wrap itself around a traffic light in Parliament square. Oh what larks!
Monday 24 October 2005 9.43pm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 25 October 2005 10.40am
Good article, Mr Hatts. Rather anti the ghastly dehumanised monster, I thought.

Remember, although by 2015 (2017?) all buses have to be accessible to disabled people, it forgets different sorts of disabilities. A blind person is much better off on a bus with a conductor than on a bus with a ramp that lands on the pavement!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: