Ministry 24 hr licence

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 October 2005 12.02pm
Oh God.
Just seen the news about Ministry's 24 hr booze licence.
Shudder to think what this is going to mean for those who live nearby (like myself) in terms of noise and anti-social behaviour....
Wednesday 26 October 2005 5.31pm
It could mean perhaps people leave later and therefore are noisy at the bus stop when I've actually got to sleep, rather than keeping me up by whooping and howling and generally acting like apes.
Monday 7 November 2005 10.47am
Yes, I also live within the area and have to live with the constant noise after closing and anti social behaviour...urinating, vomiting and car break-ins......god help us!...
Monday 7 November 2005 2.07pm
local Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I also live within the area and have to live
> with the constant noise after closing and anti
> social behaviour...urinating, vomiting and car
> break-ins......god help us!...

If that's the case already, then the issue isn't 24 hour licensing. Its a widspread culture of poor behavior and the authorities not doing their job to holding people responsible for their actions.

Monday 7 November 2005 2.30pm
If people can booze for longer, the problem is only going to get worse.
Coming out of our block on Monday mornngs you can guarantee there'll be the remnants of a regurgitated kebab and broken glass down the side of Wetherspoons.
Tuesday 8 November 2005 10.43am
sarahmc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If people can booze for longer, the problem is
> only going to get worse.
> Coming out of our block on Monday mornngs you can
> guarantee there'll be the remnants of a
> regurgitated kebab and broken glass down the side
> of Wetherspoons.

But you all pay taxes - a lot of them - why don't you force the police to do their job? Why isn't the liquor licence of the bar or club dependent on the behavior of their patrons?

In many parts of Europe there are no artificial time restrictions on serving of alcohol. In New York for example bars can be open until 4am every day of the week.

But there are no regurgitated kebabs or broken glass or fights on this scale.

So at some point you have to hold ignorant people responsible for their actions, instead of making the coty boring for the vast majority of law-abiding people. London is the only large city I can think of where you cannot get a drink in a bar after 11pm. Its pretty lame.

I understand the problems, but its better to attack them at the source instead of taking diversions regarding when you can drink alcohol. It could be nice to have 24 hr licencing at the Ministryor other places. The better thing to do is force them and the people who want to go, there to act properly.

Tuesday 8 November 2005 11.26am
I agree with you- I used to live in Barcelona and found it strange to come back to London where most places shut down at 11.
Wetherspoons recently applied for a later licence and despite the fact that this breaches their lease, Peverel/St George arent bothered by this.
Thursday 10 November 2005 5.25pm
...it's not easy to change the culture overnight, and I expect the change to occur as the macho types realise that they have to pace themselves over a longer period of time.....

Try telling this louts that you are not judged on how manly you are by how many pints you can consume and subequently regurgitate....

Ps try to do that before it's all over your shoes....
Friday 11 November 2005 2.00am
That's what I don't understand. Are there not existing laws against disorder and anti-social behavior? Why are the violators not being prosecuted? Why does social life of the city have to be held hostage because the police are not doing their job? I don't get it....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network