Christmas Turkey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 26 October 2005 11.56am
I know it's a bit early, but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for turkey suppliers maybe at Borough Market.
As its my first Christmas in SE1 and I am cooking I want to get as much stuff as possible from the market.
How does it work, do you have to order a bird in advance?
Wednesday 26 October 2005 1.05pm
A great place to go is Suffolk Meats, 156 Great Suffolk Street tel 0207 403 2851. We've been getting our Chrismas meat and everything else including barbecue stuff from Bill's for a few years now. You can preorder and tell him what size bird you want and when for. You'll pay a much more reasonable price than in the market. The capon we got last year was superb!
Wednesday 26 October 2005 1.34pm

I bought last year's at the Ginger Pig in Borough Market, and nearly fainted at the cost - c.55 if I remember rightly, although I am still suffering from PTSD!

Quality was good, but not that good.

Regards,

Loafer
Wednesday 26 October 2005 1.42pm
You probably won't even pay half that price at Bill's!
Thursday 27 October 2005 1.23pm
I second the recommendation for Suffolk Meats. We got our turkey there last year and it was very good and only about 13 for a turkey that fed six people and lots of post-christmas sandwiches. They will order the size you want and are good for people like me who don't know weights and just go "ooh, about so big"!
Thursday 27 October 2005 4.05pm
How about a Bernard Matthews frozen economy turkey, served with a ready-prepared frozen brussel sprouts, washed down with a glass or two of Blue Nun. All for under a fiver at your local Iceland, Kwik-Save or Aldis.

Did anyone else hear about the Waitrose food scare the other day?
Thursday 27 October 2005 4.20pm
Funny you should say that-Bernard Matthews is incredibly popular with our kitten- as soon as the fridge door opens she tries to jump in and search for it.
Don't think my parents would be particularly happy if I served that up on xmas day though!
Thursday 27 October 2005 5.30pm
Hold the front page!
Bernard Mathews found in SE1 fridge by kitten
Friday 28 October 2005 10.01am
Its a tight squeeze, but we do have a capacious fridge freezer....
Anonymous User
Friday 28 October 2005 10.15am
Why do people have turkey for Christmas dinner?

I've only had turkey once for Christmas dinner and that was courtesy Virgin Airlines. Where did the tradition start?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: