Tyers Gate bins

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
HF
Friday 28 October 2005 8.43am
Quite a specific thread I know, but has anyone else noticed that Tyers Gate has no general waste bins, resulting in all the rubish being dumped in the street?

The pile up of plastic bags is attracting loads of foxes and gets blown into The Rose garden opposite which is nice.

I keep on emailing Southwark council's environment department but still haven't had a response. Today I sent them a pic of it. Maybe if others complain too we'll have more weight.... What do you think?

cheers
Friday 28 October 2005 12.42pm
Those bins disappear regularly then somehow re-appear. I agree that the pile of refuse in unacceptable and dangerous. Various residents have complained repeatedly over the past couple of years but little is done to ensure that there are always bins present.
Friday 28 October 2005 7.16pm
All

Tyers Gate can look like a tip at times, as can Morocco St near the junction with Leathermarket St. Given the effort that Southwark Council has put into hounding residents who respect collection times and put their rubbish out appropriately, I'm amazed that these 'blots on the landscape' haven't attracted the attention of the environmental inspectors.

Gil Davies, Head of Leisure and Environment, would be a good person to inform as she may be able to get something done.

Regards

Niall
Ed
Monday 31 October 2005 1.15pm
I have again reported this to the Council. They assure me that they will deliver two of the large bins on wheels in the next 10 days and have them chained to the wall so that the gang of kids from the Tyers Estate can't take them away/race them down Tyers Gate. I'll believe it when I see it but the reference no with the Council is 168219 is anyone else fancies adding their weight to this one.

Ed
Tuesday 8 November 2005 2.50pm
One bin there today, not sure if it was chained or not as I've only just read Ed's post. I guess we could use the shopping trolley as an extra bin?
HF
Tuesday 8 November 2005 2.56pm
I noticed it there today too, although its not chained to anything. Thanks for everyone's responses. One bin is still woefully little to cope with the whole street, but hopefully more will follow...
Ed
Tuesday 15 November 2005 10.41am
Well a brief update - Southwark Council "could not find out where the problem was" and so did nothing!!

The collections team actually moved one of the Estate bins onto the site themselves. Southwark now assure me, having clariifed where the problenm is occuring that they will deliver two new paladin type bins this week (and chain them to the wall).

Well here's hoping - if they arrive I suggest we have a small christening ceremony with a couple of bottles of champagne (at least we can always dispose of the bottles in the bottle bank!). The new job reference is 311545.

Ed
Tuesday 15 November 2005 1.17pm
"could not find out where the problem was" - are they blind? I added to the mountain this morning, Sherpa Tensing was on the North Face with crampons.
Wednesday 16 November 2005 10.44pm
Wednesday, close of business and still no bins. Will they appear? Will Ed crack open the bubbly? Somehow I suspect he shouldn't put it on ice just yet.
Thursday 17 November 2005 1.08am
You could actually venture into the estate and deposit your rubbish in one of the many bins there. Its not that scary (I live there and we really don't mind the odd Selfridges bag stuffed full of identity-theft-jackpot documentation) and its only an extra minute out of your day to keep your street less unsightly..
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network