Those cameras with transceivers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 28 October 2005 1.46pm
Further to a recent thread. BBC London News had a report on those weird banks of cameras on Borough High Street and Tooley street.

They said that there are 500 volunteeer testers who have a chip affixed to their car. The white box thingies register that a given car is below. So they can track exactly how long a car has been inside the zone.

This paves the way for a charge to be based on the type of car, time of day, miles driven etc. They say the system is nearly 100% succesful.

They still look bloody ugly though!
Friday 28 October 2005 1.49pm
they have put some up in Long Lane now as well-smaller versions though
Friday 28 October 2005 5.00pm
"They said that there are 500 volunteeer testers who have a chip affixed to their car", said KevinB. I've been watching some of the 'marked' cars (white triangle on roof) going up and down Borough High Street. In my (never humble) opinion they have been driving dangerously ie weaving at speed from side to side when within range of the cameras/sensors ... distressing for those driving in the same line of traffic.
Friday 28 October 2005 7.41pm
Big Brother is Watching You.
Saturday 29 October 2005 5.00pm
a white triangle on the roof is the sign of the camera testers, says Paul.

I thought they were a sign of their favourite Tellytubby. Tink Winky of course.

God Bless this site.
Saturday 29 October 2005 5.11pm
Tinky Winky would have an upside down triangle you Na Na!
Sunday 27 November 2005 4.20pm
I saw on Friday that there's a mini-gantry of cameras gone up in Newcomen Street (linking Union Street with Snowsfields) pointing West towards Borough High Street. Any ideas why?
Sunday 27 November 2005 8.28pm
It's part of the same mini-zone congenstion charging experiment discussed at length here. Now the first phase of the project is over they've installed further gantries at lots of the other entrance points to the mini-zone.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: