Roast @ Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Sunday 30 October 2005 3.18pm
Wonderful food.

No connection.
Sunday 30 October 2005 6.09pm
and Great beer.

Have a connection....
Sunday 30 October 2005 10.34pm
Go on... it got quite a good write up in Saturday's Telegraph by Jan Moir (?) although she said it was a bit too much like a school gym in looks, and needed a huge open roaring fire in the middle.
Monday 31 October 2005 12.42pm
where is it?
Monday 31 October 2005 1.03pm
Try here Dee Dee

I had a very nice lunch there the other day - the only thing that wasn't quite right is that we had to wait about 30 minutes after our meal ended for the bill to arrive and be processed - didn't bother me but others in the restaurant were getting very testy.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 31 October 2005 1.05pm by Siduhe.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 12.38am
You'd think they could do with the cash flow... ( cf yesterday's Evening Standard )
Laid-back or not, any establishment that doesn't present a bill within ten minutes deserves a 'runner' experience.
Putting on your jacket and heading for the door tends to sharpen the focus.
Billy Trundle (sic) used to dine out gratis in the 80's by leaving a note scrawled of a bit of napkin along the following lines:"bored of waiting for your slack service to improve, have to go, if you really think it is warranted, please forward by bill to............"
Most of the time, no comeback and probably covered as far as the law was concerned.
Tuesday 1 November 2005 7.35am
HA! I love it. I did this with a couple of friends in the Lake Palace in Udaipur in Rajahstan (the place in the James Bond movie). We waited and waited and signalled and signalled, so I said to the friends we were with: "Let's just get up and go"...and we DID. And no one stopped us. No one stopped us at the boat which takes you ashore. No one stopped us when we got off the boat. No one stopped us when we got out of the complex on the shore , just the guards said "Goodnight". I was laughing my head off when we got back to our hotel, it felt so like a school prank...but the couple I was with had such pangs of concience (I mean WHY, the bloody Lake Palace is terribly swishy and over priced and they certainly wouldnt have felt any pinch from another couple of meals at the buffet) they went all the way back again!

I agree, one just makes for the door in these cases, it usually gets the staff scurrying about.
Saturday 5 November 2005 11.42pm
On the Roast restaurant web site it says the first floral hall roof and dome built in 18 50s at Covent Garden survived the war but burnt down in the 19 50s
I read in a book about it last year( which iritatingly I cant find right now) that the original roof burnt down shortly after it was built .
Tuesday 8 November 2005 6.33pm
I had disappointing Sunday lunch the other day - how can a restaurant called Roast run out of Roast potatoes and cabbage well before the end of service!!

We saw our bill in three different versions as they kept getting it wrong - Siduhe, I hope you checked yours carefully when you received it.

Giles Coren from the Times was there at the same time and one of my fellow diners is a big fan so she emailed him with our experiences. He says he will be writing a review Saturday week in the magazine and may use some of my friends comments in the article.
Wednesday 9 November 2005 11.45am
Interesting: Metro this morning rated Roast with one star out of five whereas Time Out rates it four stars and call it the new St John.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: