Car Alarms during the night

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 3 November 2005 8.50am
I live at the Elephant end of Walworth Road, so I am used to a fairly high level of street noise, and it doesn't bother me. But there was a car alarm going off from about 1:30 am to around 6:00 am this morning, which kept me awake most of the night.

I rang Southwark's emergency team about 2:00 am but no response by 5:30 am. When I rang back, turns out they had taken my number down wrong. Anyway, by the time they did get there about 6:00 am, it had stopped minutes before.

Find it hard to believe that no-one else rang them. Is this a service anyone has used before? What do they do exactly.

Andrew
Thursday 3 November 2005 2.31pm
Lots of info on the Noise Prevention Team on Southwark's website and also here.

The only time I've ever come across them was about three years ago, when the alarm kept going off all through the night at the office building next to our block of flats. They arrived, tried everything to get hold of the building's owners and security firm, then called the police to effect a break-in to silence the alarm. The building owners were subsequently told to get a new security firm (i.e. one which actually responded to call outs) or face penalties in future.
Thursday 3 November 2005 8.28pm
Not used them for car alarms - I find a large sledgehammer quite effective for silencing those (TFIC) - but have found the Noise Team useful on a couple of occasions when a pub over the road from my flat decided to have an after hours party into the wee small hours. What they'll be able to do about such things when pubs can now get 24 hour licenses, I don't know. Maybe pubs can be licensed on the basis that they do not emit more than X decibels of noise?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network