Anonymous building opposite Konditor and Cook

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
matt swan Monday 14 November 2005 9.03pm
Does anyone know what that large red brick building is opposite Konditor and Cook on Cornwall Road ? There are no signs or markings on it to indicate what its purpose is, and no public entrances.
James Hatts Monday 14 November 2005 9.12pm
It's to do with the Jubilee Line extension - a substation or suchlike.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
Lang Rabbie Tuesday 15 November 2005 9.17am
It contains several large ventilator shafts as well. The brickwork is done to an incredibly good standard of detailing - you can see where the money went on the Jubilee Line extension.

I still haven't worked out which idiot (or colourblind?) Lambeth planner requested* that it should be clad in red brick to match the Edwardian buildings on Exton Street (?) rather than London stocks to match the buildings of Roupell Street/Cornwall Road.

I tried in vain to get that changed before they started construction however many years ago it was.

(* ironically, they only had advisory rights as the works were given planning consent by legislation rather than a planning application)
paulh Tuesday 22 November 2005 11.22pm
yes... I think certain things like railways fall under a special rule for planning, because it would be impractical to deal with a whole list of authorities for a "single" piece of work.

Why did they advise those bricks though? They are one of the few (only?) things that is "wrong" when you look down the perfect preservation of Roupell st.
James Hatts Tuesday 22 November 2005 11.27pm
Wasn't there a car advert which appeared in magazines recently showing the view down Roupell Street where the substation building had been Photoshopped (extended I think, to hide the buildings behind)

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions