Another bit of SE1 heritage gone!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Monday 14 November 2005 10.48pm
Walked past the brand new Wagamama by Clink Street / Vinopolis this evening and was utterly distraught to see that they (or someone at least - maybe Southwark Council ?) have recently painted over the two Banksy pieces on the wall next to the new restaurant.

There were "Wet Paint" signs up on the wall, but it's not a question of them having repainted the wall totally, rather someone has just covered the paintings with light grey paint, on a dark grey wall.

It's not just the actual value of the work (probably worth a few thousand now Banksy's gone legit ?) but the fact that they so clearly failed to recognise the intrinsic value. I loved walking past the little girl with the balloon. Anyone know where I can find a couple of photos - I'm tempted to send them to Wagamama 's head office and point out to them exactly what they allowed to be destroyed ?

edited to say - must have happened a couple of weeks ago - see here:

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14 November 2005 10.53pm by Siduhe.
Monday 14 November 2005 11.03pm
The Banksy angel in the Bermondsey Street tunnel has also recently been painted over, couldn't believe it when I saw it wasn't there anymore.
Monday 14 November 2005 11.25pm
With the refurbishment of those arches and the arrival of two more chain restaurants, Clink Street and its environs have finally been stripped of any remaining character or charm.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 15 November 2005 1.44am
Roll on globalisation and its homogenisation/americanisation of our culture and landscape. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

Hopefully Banksy will return to paint a new masterpiece. You can find his contact details to ask him about this here.
Tuesday 15 November 2005 8.47am
I'm really disappointed to hear they've gone. The girl with the ballon was also further along, past the Tate Modern (if memory serves me well), but I think she was billposted over. Does anyone know if the rats and old man that briefly appeared on the steps down from Borough High Street to Borough Market/Southwark Cathedral was Banksy?
Tuesday 15 November 2005 9.26am
Rats! There are still a few local surviving Banksy artworks locally, but I'm not sure about the one misselaineous mentions. Let's hope Banksy decides to come up with suitable revenge.
Tuesday 15 November 2005 11.04am
i think we might have a few shots of it - will post them if I can find them. I felt the same Sidhue, when I walked passed it this week, and found all marks of pre wagamama/nados life erased...
Tuesday 15 November 2005 11.08am
th Wrote:
> The Banksy angel in the Bermondsey Street tunnel
> has also recently been painted over, couldn't
> believe it when I saw it wasn't there anymore.

Hmm, I wonder if it's a Southwark Council "war on graffiti" then ? A shame either way.

As for Banksy being tempted to redo them, I understand he's now more a serious artiste who saves his political statements for places like the Israeli West Bank security barrier.

Tuesday 15 November 2005 11.17am
Culture wars still need fighting on the home front, IMHO
Tuesday 15 November 2005 11.54am
Oh well, nice to know he sharpened his teeth around SE1. Did anyone see the Bankside notice he turned unto Banksy - I can't recall where it is/was?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: