Re: Number 1 bus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 November 2002 11.12am
Does anybody know of any plans to reintroduce the 199 along the No 1 route? There's now app more buses on from Tottenham Crt Rd to Canada Water but the buses are packed and late etc still. A real pain! No seats. Or the buses just drive past the stop every morning between 8-9am... A bit of a pain when you're trying to get to work... Plus when you do get on they invariably are only going as far as the Elephant or Waterloo. Really needs sorting...
Monday 18 November 2002 2.39pm
another reason to carry on driving a car...

Sorry James... had to get this one in !

Wednesday 20 November 2002 9.42am
Try the 21 bus for a'll need the patience of a saint...25 minutes this morning at 7.15 and it came nearly twenty five minutes later... no matter what time you travel.. it's the only bus that goes goes over London bridge to the city from old kent road..
Wednesday 20 November 2002 10.32am
I remember both the No1, 47 and the 70 (381 in a different life) they actually seemed to go where you wanted, Oxford Street, Victoria and beyond Catford. I think the shorter journey routes are an attempt to squeeze extra fares out of people, as you can only get part of the way along your journey and not all the way thereby doubling your fare. Several 381 last week were only going as far as London Bridge, a real problem as I needed to go to St Thomas Hospital, so again doublefares as the driver of the second bus would not accept the ticket for 1 which I had already paid on the first bus to allow me to continue my journey.

You should also try a 225 now and again, my daughter and her friend along with other passengers were taken on a nightmare journey where the driver decided he was late and didn't want to go along Rotherhithe Street (I know its SE16) so just drove from Redriff Road, along Salter Road before stopping outside Rotherhithe Station. This was both frightening and totally irresponsible, as the girls did not know the number of the bus and have bus passes, as it seemed did most of the other elderly passengers, we were not able to identify the driver.

So much for the safety and reliability of public transport.
Wednesday 20 November 2002 4.31pm
the NO1 IS APPALING ON friday myself and quite a few other people waited 40 mins for one that wasn't full. i travel into work 30 mins earlier than i need to, to make sure i can get there. if i could park would definetly take the car. whats it going to be like from February with more people trying to use it.
Wednesday 20 November 2002 4.47pm
the No 1 is often full and irregular when it is most needed, although I am fortunate in having a choice of No 1 or No 188. Perhaps we should have a word with Ken, since he's all for making buses more popular. The 199 was before my time in SE1 - did it go down Tower Bridge Road ?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: