Elephant and Castle Regeneration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
PJ
Wednesday 16 November 2005 6.23pm
As someone new to the Elephant and Castle area, I was wondering what people's views on the regeneration of E&C are? Do people think that it will vastly improve the area or will it be just like the wasted efforts of the 1960's. I am wondering how the planned Civic and Market Square's along with the new office towers will actually work in reality.
Thursday 17 November 2005 1.22am
Maybe because I'm a little bit drunk or a little bit evil or have a memorybank full of E&C, but if someone said I had to choose a London venue for the detonation of a smart nuclear-ish device, that, whilst preserving human life ( possibly cats too ) would obliterate the urban geographyin one fell swoop, it would have to be smack bang in the middle of E&C. oh dear, I've said it now...
Thursday 17 November 2005 8.33am
Brilliant marketing wheeze reported in the Times today: stick 5 notes on a billboard near the Eleephant and hope people line up politely and take one each to help promote the regeneration. Cue chaos. I must get a job in marketing, I am sure I could come up with ways to give away cash in public.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1875364,00.html

Still, nice to see some people found their day improved courtesy of this idea.
Thursday 17 November 2005 12.04pm
Asan active member of part of the Elephant Links, as designated founder of Supporters of the Elephant group (now being formed) I can tell you that it's going to be SMASHING and you will be thrilled that you moved here in time. It's going to take ten years, so be patient. The first "new housing" is being built in Wansey Street and there is the Oakmayne building behind the Shell station, these are all going to be part of the new housing for the Heygate Estate tenants who will be moved out slowly and their buildings demolished. The southern roundabout of the Elephant is being taken out early 2006 (watch out for traffic jams) to lengthen the Walworth Road. The shopping centre not coming down till about 2010 because new shopping facilities must be created first. It's all very exciting and one of the greatest urban regeneration projects London has ever seen. If you want to see some material click onto www.southwark.gov.uk and look at the E&C site.
Thursday 17 November 2005 5.51pm
jackie rokotnitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>The shopping centre
> not coming down till about 2010 because new
> shopping facilities must be created first.

Jackie, can you talk more about this, or is there a specific source for this part?

Thursday 17 November 2005 5.58pm
The timetable is here (although IMHO it's a nightmare to find on Southwark's site):

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/RegenerationSection/elephant/ECtimetable.html
PJ
Thursday 17 November 2005 5.59pm
Jackie, I would be interested in knowing more about when the extension to the Walworth road will be functioning and facilites along it opened.
Friday 18 November 2005 9.11am
Furthermore, go to www.elephantandcastle.org.uk. There's a very good leaflet "Cleared for Action" which is an easy guide. And I will be inviting ALL of you to come and meet us to get you all participating and in the loop. Watch this space

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: