90% Residents' discount - misleading

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
S
Monday 18 November 2002 1.03pm
It is a little incorrect to assume that as a local resident within the charging zone, that you'll automatically be eligible for a "90% discount". It's actually 90% on ONE WEEK'S WORTH OF PAYMENTS @ 5 a day. That is, the MINIMUM you must pay in a week is 10% of 25 -- 2.50.

So, if you only move your car ONCE within the zone during one week, your discount is actually only 50% of what someone outside of the zone who only comes in once a week would pay -- i.e. 5.00.

Moving your car once and having to pay 2.50 for it isn't quite a 90% discount now, is it?

Thought I'd point this out.
S
Monday 18 November 2002 1.09pm
Incidentally, 2.50 is the MAXIMUM you pay in a week as well -- so if you drive to the gym on Monday morning, you may as well drive there every other day of the week as well, since you've paid for it.

Not exactly an disincentive to drive.

I'm not making a statement about the pros or cons of congestion charging, by the way. But I do think this is rather odd.
Monday 18 November 2002 1.12pm
If people tried walking or cycling they might not need to "drive to the gym"...

Sorry, couldn't resist
S
Monday 18 November 2002 1.17pm
James, I agree. LOL.

It was just a way of making the point that if you're too lazy to walk wherever you need to walk first thing on a Monday morning, and you hop in the car instead -- however anti-green/anti-Ken/anti-whatever/dull-and-lazy this makes you -- you may as well do it on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, since you've paid for it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network