Potter's Field Protest

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 22 November 2005 11.46am
did anyone go to the protest on Potter's Field this morning and was there a good turnout?

I only saw the poster when I came home at 9.30 last night. I would have thought that like many local people who object to the buildings, I was on my way to work at 8am.
Tuesday 22 November 2005 2.08pm
This is the first I've heard of it. Please could I ask whoever organised this why on earth they didn't tell us about it?! Grrr.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 22 November 2005 3.40pm
Ditto for local residents. I don't think Kinko's charge much for a few hundred A5-sized flyers to be printed, which can be leaflet-dropped into local residents postboxes to make them aware of the next protest.
Tuesday 22 November 2005 3.46pm
Is the Lettering still there,I thought everybody new.
Tuesday 22 November 2005 7.19pm
I second what James and Martin said. Really not rocket-science to publicise something like this, which, since it depends on good turnout to be effective, is a pretty crucial thing to organise. Leaflet drops don't take long if the work is divvied up amongst some volunteers...

Wednesday 23 November 2005 9.10am
Judging by the photo on the website there wasn't much of a turnout - not surprising really, what is the point of having a 'protest' and not telling anyone?
Wednesday 23 November 2005 10.15am
Michael,

While I'm pleased that a website has been set up, it needs a bit of tweaking. I'm not sure if you helped build it or have simply passed on the link, so these comments on the site are not necessarily directed at you.

This page: http://savepottersfield.org.uk/2.html states that Berkeley Homes want to demolish the former school and its annex. This is not my understanding of the proposal, which is that it seeks to demolish only the annex. If I'm wrong, my apologies. Otherwise it needs correcting, or the error damages the campaign's credibility.

The 'Mission Statement' on this page: http://savepottersfield.org.uk/3.html does not display properly on my Mac, with most of the text invisible and all squashed up. When I did manage to extract and read it, it describes the concerns of the community, but does not express much of a positive vision for the site, which is what most people would expect of a 'mission statement'. If it is not possible to agree on a single vision for the site (which is quite understandable) then something short and snappy like 'Our mission is to prevent the development of blocks of flats on this site and to get Southwark Council to run an adequately funded public consultation programme to establish what the public would like to see happen to this site.' The rest of that material is background stuff which belongs on the 'Profit vs People' page: http://savepottersfield.org.uk/7.html

Personally I do not really like the grey concrete image as a background and the sort-of graffiti in the top right hand corner is very distracting, but that is simply a matter of taste. As long as the text and images are corrected to display properly, the rest is far less important. It is good that the site is up and running, in any case.

Wednesday 23 November 2005 12.27pm
There is another meeting of the Potters Fields development presure group this evening
Everyone should get on down there.
Wednesday 23 November 2005 4.02pm
Its got nothing to do with me.

it took me ages to find the web site

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 23 November 2005 4.04pm by mickysalt.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: