Tooley Street 'Terrace'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 24 November 2005 3.43pm
Does anyone know what is planned for the row of buildings on Tooley Street flanked by The Antigallican and St John's pubs? The buildings are owned by More London but I've heard nothing as to the plans for the site.
Thursday 24 November 2005 3.55pm
The buildings are listed [not that that is always effective protection] but proposals have not been finalised yet. Watch those spaces.
Thursday 24 November 2005 8.33pm

More London have been casting around for years for ideas as to what to do with them. At one point there was discussion with the Pool of London Partnership about it being used to house a sort of careers and job scheme. Because of the state of the buildings, they are likely to keep the facades, but gut the interiors and probably turn everything between the Antigallican and the St John's Tavern into a single building.

I'd be more worried about the Antigallican if I were you. More London's plans involved turning this into the usual anonymous All Bar One kind of crap, instead of valuing the history behind the existing pub and its lovely mahogany bar. Everything on their site has to be shiny and new, you see, even if most people would appreciate a real traditional pub with some character (the Antigallican genuinely does get its name from the Anti-French societies which sprung up in London during the Napoleonic wars).

Which reminds me - the Tenants Association had a seat on the More London s.106 advisory board, which was usually a good place to find out what was in the pipeline. Is anyone from the reconstituted local residents group attending those meetings?

Thursday 24 November 2005 8.34pm
PS - James - this thread probably belongs in the SE1 forum rather than chatter, so if you could move it over there...? Ta!
Thursday 24 November 2005 10.22pm
Tis done.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 24 November 2005 10.44pm
There is nothing sadder than the sight of a derelict corner pub leading in to a streets that's no longer there
I cant wait for all those buildings to be renovated and reintegrated into more London .
Lets face it the way a development like that integrates in to what went before and is till there is the most interesting aspect of it. and should not be an after thought.

Im still puzzled by old photographs that show one side of a street runing down to the river that was left standing near where The Fire Station building is.and if it was considered worth keeping why was it pulled down.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 24 November 2005 10.53pm by mickysalt.
Tuesday 29 November 2005 1.39pm
There are draft proposals that involve preserving most of the existing frontage of the terrace, including all but the rear bit of The Antigallican which is being removed to provide space for a service area for the new bar / retaurant / retail bits. Andrews comments that More London intend to turn it into an All Bar One style of bar assume too much at this stage because no tenants have been signed up for this space or the pub in the later building at the other end.

Hopefully, whatever DOES go in there and the adjacent buildings will not be 'crap' in most peoples judgement. However, it is true that the Antigallican bar itself is no longer there. I can't comment on the quality of the thing because I never saw it, but it seems someone found it worth removing! I think the process of consultation to agree the retention of original external details along the terrace is still going on. However, it does appear that the first building to the right of the Antigallican will be replaced with a new structure.
Wednesday 30 November 2005 8.44am
Sorry for delay in responding but have been away for a few days. I am sitting in on the Section 106 meetings on behalf of local residents.
Wednesday 30 November 2005 12.23pm
Alan, that's good to know. Wrong thread I know, but any updates on the re-landscaping of Potters Field Park?
Thursday 1 December 2005 7.37pm
I am going to a meeting next Tuesday. Will let you know the latest position then.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: