Crime wave in Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 24 November 2005 6.39pm
Hi All

Our front door was kicked in on Tuesday night at 10pm while we were in. A very expensive bicycle was stolen that wasn't insured and 1600 of damage done to the door and electric buzzer etc
To my horror after speaking to several people from the surrounding streets this was not the first time by any means.
There is a huge crime wave sweeping this area.
4 expensive bikes have been stolen in the last couple of weeks. One of them at an office in Leathermarket with the employees at there desks at the time just a couple of metres away from the bikes which were inside the locked porch. The door was kicked in like ours and the bike stolen in seconds. City Walk have been targeted as well. Offices in Tanner Street have been burgled with computers being stolen. Offices in other surrounding streets have been targeted with windows being smashed just for a laugh and when the windows are replaced they come back and break them again. A van has been stolen in Bermondsey Street.
I spoke to the police about the problems with the bikes and was told they would ring me back. They have not.
I think we should organise a meeting ourselves to be held asap to discuss what we as hard working people can do to prevent this from continuing. To be honest I'm sick of it!!!
Does anyone agree?
Thursday 24 November 2005 11.29pm
I saw your 'Stolen' sign outside the flower shop. I've had so many bikes stolen that now I ride a wreck and keep the good bike at home, a bit like a vintage car it only makes appearances on Bank Holidays. Sorry to hear your news but as usual the police have better things to do (tongue firmly in cheek).
Friday 25 November 2005 1.46am
Speakloud

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you regarding the 'crime wave'. This is actually a seasonal activity that starts in the three or four weeks before Christmas. Its been this way for as long as I can remember.

Constant vigilance is the only answer. Make it difficult and they'll look for an easier target.

Regards

Niall
Friday 25 November 2005 9.36am
Today, the police are all 'busy' pulling over cyclists in the city for minor traffic infrigements. There are 4 of them manning the crime-ridden junction of London Wall and Bishopsgate.

The reason they do this is for statistics - if they operate like this they get one 'conviction' for every 'crime' they find. This improves one of their key KPIs which is clear-up rate. What the police hate is when people report things like your bike theft as they get one 'crime' raised but they have very little chance of ever getting it solved, so it brings down their clear-up percentage.

Friday 25 November 2005 9.47am
JGarcia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Today, the police are all 'busy' pulling over
> cyclists in the city for minor traffic
> infrigements. There are 4 of them manning the
> crime-ridden junction of London Wall and
> Bishopsgate.

Excellent news! Maybe some of them will learn that they too have to obey traffic laws from now on, and make the roads/pavements safer for pedestrians. They need to be registered and have some sort of registration plate system.

Four times in the last 5 weeks on crossing the at junction of Tooley Street/ Tower Bridge Road when the light has been green for pedestrians have I had to dodge arrogant cyclists pedalling like mad through red lights. Cunning stunts.
Friday 25 November 2005 9.53am
Why leave it to the police?

I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do to stop someone riding on the pavement and ask them why they are doing it? It's no good getting cross about it but not doing anything yourself.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 25 November 2005 10.17am
There are many well-documented cases of Joe Public deciding to uphold the law themselves. Doesn't always work out too well.

How do you suggest I deal with my main complaint of cyclists who go through red lights when I am crossing the road? Should I run after them politely shouting 'stop!' so that I can admonish them?
Friday 25 November 2005 10.28am
I don't mean you especially Jonathan. I was making a general point. In my experience, it's actually quite easy to stop a cyclist who is on a collision course with you. Certainly if they're on the pavement. Once stopped, you can then have a polite discussion about why grown men and women are teararsing around on the pavement on bicycles when frnakly that's probably a bit of an inappropriate thing for even children to do. Once they've ignored your sensible and reasoned points, you can then kick them in and put sticks through their spokes.

Friday 25 November 2005 11.42am
JGarcia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Today, the police are all 'busy' pulling over
> cyclists in the city for minor traffic
> infrigements. There are 4 of them manning the
> crime-ridden junction of London Wall and
> Bishopsgate.
>
> The reason they do this is for statistics - if
> they operate like this they get one 'conviction'
> for every 'crime' they find. This improves one of
> their key KPIs which is clear-up rate. What the
> police hate is when people report things like your
> bike theft as they get one 'crime' raised but they
> have very little chance of ever getting it solved,
> so it brings down their clear-up percentage.
>
>
The City Of London Police have no jurisdiction in Bermondsey Street.

Friday 25 November 2005 11.45am
Like Boss Hogg, they cain't go over the county line.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: