Homophobic abuse

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 8 October 2001 6.58am
I moved to bermondsey [Grange Road area] in June.I own my own flat work hard and bother no one.
when walking up to Bermondsey Spa with my ageing dog, i get abuse from car drivers pedestrians, and worse of all children. what i am called i cannot repeat on here. also the latest is to throw eggs.
I don't dress strangley or behave and differently not that this should make a difference.
this has happened to other people i know as well. is this really a nice place to live?
Friday 19 October 2001 2.18pm
Martyn, this is a very distressing story. I've lived in the Elephant for 14 years and have never had any trouble round here, touch wood; the only time I got abuse in SE1 was in a Tandoori on Tower Bridge Road, ten years ago.

Bermondsey should be bloody ashamed of itself if this is the best it can do. It might be worth writing to the MP, or talking to the local police community liaison officer. If you're getting persistent grief from the same group of people, they'll do something about it: hate crimes are taken seriously these days. You can bet that if they heard a similar tale of racist abuse they would be jumping up and down!
Jan
Tuesday 23 October 2001 6.48am
Martyn, thats terrible, you get some prats who think it's funny to assault others , verbally or otherwise. Assuming your not mincing down Grange Road wearing a silver thong, and making an idiot of yourself, tell the police. Get a rotweiller to accompany you and your little dog.

Ignore it if you can, they will get fed up with it , if you are new to the area, it's unusual for people to get assaulted in this area as us natives are a pretty tolerant lot and well used to having a wonderful variety of souls living amongt us.

If its any consolation I too have been on the receiving end of these cretins, I'm female, fat and fifty! and like you couldnt repeat what they said here. To repeat myself I know it is very very rare.....
take care..

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network