Swimming pool in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Julian Blake Tuesday 26 November 2002 1.40pm
Does anyone know if there is a swimming pool that's open to the public in SE1 - especially around the London Bridge/Southwark Bridge area?

There doesn't appear to be anything in this area at all - save for the Elephant & Castle, which is a bit too far for a lunchtime swim. I hear there may be a pool at Guy's Hospital and also heard there was one on Union Street. City of London School by the Millennium Bridge has one but I can't afford the tuition fees that would get me in. Can anyone help?

Ta
Seb Wednesday 27 November 2002 10.50am
Julian, I started a thread about the lack of swimming pools in SE1 earlier in the summer. The pool at the Elephant & Castle has been out of action for several years now, and there don't appear to be any plans to renovate it. All the pools in the London Bridge/South Bank area are in private health clubs, like the one at the very expensive County Hall gym. Nearest public ones are in Camberwell and Canada Water, Rotherhithe.
Julian Blake Wednesday 27 November 2002 11.05am
Blimey - that's a scandal. We should protest.

I guess there's always the Thames....
sarah Wednesday 27 November 2002 11.48am
Julian - you're right, there is a pool at Guys which is available to the public at certain times of the day when its not being used. I have never got round to going but it might be worth a try. I'm not sure who I rang to find out about times but try the general Guys number 7955 5000. Good luck!
Julian Blake Wednesday 27 November 2002 12.37pm
Well, I just spoke to Guys and they say their pool is never open to the public, but is for members only - that is, members of the Thomas and Guy Club - which is open only to doctors, nurses and students at Guy's, St Thomas's or Kings.

I could go as a guest of a member for 3.35 a time, which is pricey, but just about doable.

The question is, are there any members of the Thomas and Guy Club out there who can help?!
biscuit boy Wednesday 27 November 2002 1.13pm
The pool at canada water is ok it's about 3.50 at time but they do a monthly for about 15 for swimming only, never seems to be that busy at night, not sure about lunchtimes though

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions