New skyscraper for Elephant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
PJ
Tuesday 6 December 2005 9.37am
The new skyscraper announced for Elephant in the news section looks fantastic. If it is approved by Southwark Council, does anyone have any idea when it would be built?
Tuesday 6 December 2005 12.35pm
I agree it looks fantastic, and will massively enhance the area, not to mention the effect it will have on that part of the skyline. It's very eco-friendly too.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=494

Sadly, the majority of people on this forum appear to be fundamentally anti-highrise.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/images/pics/4488MultiplexLivingTower_pic1.jpg

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 24 March 2006 9.30am by James Hatts.
Tuesday 6 December 2005 2.27pm
No, we are not anti-high rise, it just depends which high rise and where. This one will be on in place of the E&C shopping centre. But dont hold your breath children, the shopping centre isnt due to come down till 2009/10, so you've got a bit of a wait!
Tuesday 6 December 2005 2.35pm
AIUI this Multiplex tower with the turbines is opposite the shopping centre, on the Castle House site where the Ministry of Salsa and South Central bar are.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 6 December 2005 3.00pm
This presumably replaces the 21 storey proposal for Castle House approved by Southwark and Ken Livingstone in 2001, rather than being "in addition to" ?
Tuesday 6 December 2005 3.31pm
Nope - that things never gonna fly
PJ
Tuesday 6 December 2005 4.17pm
Why does the new sky scraper need to wait until the shopping centre comes down as its actual site is south of the existing shopping centre?

I heard that this could be built by 2010.
Tuesday 6 December 2005 5.03pm
oooh I like that one and I can see definate potential for a bady-chases-Bond scene around those windmills!
Tuesday 6 December 2005 8.01pm
Hmmm Another twilight visualization.

Its difficult to tell exactly how these tall buildings will look,
Remember its 10 story's taller than center poiont,(thats tall )that means by that visulisatuin its a prity wide building as well.and during daylight hours it wont have that gradation in color and tone.

The main concern is that so many of these buildings are being given planing permission before any of them are built.

They're creating a virtual city scape

the implications of which won't become clear until its to late.
None of this means Im necessarily against this building I just think you would have t be a mug to lap all this up unquestioningly.

Wednesday 7 December 2005 8.50am
I think we all ARE asking questions. And ...er..I think a thing has to have planning permission before it's built, it can hardly get permission AFTER.
If you look at the model of the new E& C development, you will see that there are two tall towers. Originally the model had them side by side but they are actually going to be either side of the railway (one over the shopping centre the other a bit further away). I HOPE people responsible are sensible enough to think about shadows cast by huge buildings so as not to plunge huge areas into darkness (or shade if you like).
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: