Simon the Tanner late Licence

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 6 December 2005 12.29pm
As has been mentioned in another thread Simon the Tanner has applied for a licence as follows

Opening hours Sun to Thur 10-00 to 00-30
Fri and Sat 10-00 to 1-30

Sell alcohol Sun to Thur 10-00 to 00-00
Fri and Sat 10-00 to 1-00

Provide music recorded, karaoke, disco or live bands

Sun to Thur 19-00 to 23-00
Fri and Sat 19-00 to 00-00

Sporting events or videos

Sun to Thur 10-00 to 00-00
Fri and Sat 10-00 to 1-00

I live in the block next to Simons and many of our flats have bedrooms on Long Lane some with in a few feet of the pub. Many of us have children and are very concerned this application may get the go ahead. Unlike planning applications local residents are not notified and I am concerned that some people in the area may miss the notices in the pub window and not realise that this application has been made. As you can imagine the music noise is a worry but also the noise of people leaving in the early hours of the morning after drinking will effect many residents in the area not just us, not to mention the anti social side with fights and other problems which I will not go into on this site but just to say you would not like it on your door step.

I had thought this new legislation was supposed to be for city centre areas not residentail streets!

Please can everyone who will be affected and is concerned register their objections. Representations have to be made by December 22nd to

Southwark Council
Chaplin Centre
Thurlow Street
SE17 2DG

Tuesday 6 December 2005 12.59pm
Personally, I have no objection to this and I think those hours are quite civilized. If live music was there -- I doubt this will happen -- my attitude might change. I live just behind Simon the Tanner and have never experienced noise problems.

Of course for the last 9 months that's because no one has drunk there. Never have I witnessed such a badly run business.
Jac
Tuesday 6 December 2005 1.14pm
Just because they are apply for a licience for the music, late nights etc doen't mean that they intend to be open those hours or have live music everynight. Even if they want to be open late or have a band just one night year they have to apply for this type of licience. I live close to the tanner too but as they seem to be unable to open regular hours i am not unduly worried by this application
Tuesday 6 December 2005 1.15pm
it may be civilised in a city centre but not in a residential area with children trying to sleep and people's bedrooms a few feet away.
Tuesday 6 December 2005 1.54pm
Up to a point, deedee, but it's a residential area in Zone 1 London. IMHO, some noise and disturbance is the downside to living so near to all the great things we have in SE1.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 6 December 2005 2.12pm
Ivanhoe-i don't dispute this and we had noise from the pub in the good old days when people went in there. This was not unacceptable as you expect that. What we did not have is loud music into the wee hours and people shouting and yelling outside at 1-30 to 2 am. (I can hear the cries of leave him he's not worth it already)

My fear is that as the pub is not making money they are going for the easy option of attracting young drinkers with late music and I guess we are all aware of the problems associated with this type of establishment this is my real concern and why I am objecting. Of course I am not saying that we object to music and late nights on, for example new years eve but if,as I fear, this is designed to make as much money as possible as their planning application was refused I fear the worst.

Perhaps some one in the know could tell us!
Tuesday 6 December 2005 2.51pm
DeeDee - do you really think that the kind of people who listen to 'really loud music' and who get very drunk, and make lots of noise coming out of pubs and clubs, are actually going to go to Simon the Tanner? especially when there are SO many other places that are so much better in and around central London?

It seems unlikely if you ask me
Tuesday 6 December 2005 3.09pm
I remember pubs in the area such as uncles, gillys, the Vic, the fellmongers, the lilliput halls to name but a few all previously boring local pubs that changed with late licences and were very well frequented- and i know as i drunk in most of them and most of them closed due to problems-the Fellmongers i recall after someone got shot!

Yes people will drink in there if it is open late has music whether a disco or karaoke-the more disconcerning may go else where but I worry what that then leaves! The fact it is boring and unattractive now doesn't mean that it will be as badly frequented if it has a late licence, I hope my fears are ungrounded and it does turn out to be a great white elephant but i doubt it .
Tuesday 6 December 2005 3.36pm
I think that a lot of pubs will have applied for a late licence but have no intention of using them. I understand that many solicitors have advised pub clients to apply for the licence as it will result in increasing the lease value at sale
Tuesday 6 December 2005 3.36pm
It has the potential to be a wonderful little pub. I understand your position, but my gripe with it is not that it might be open a little bit longer, sorry.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: