Do you have a room to rent?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 11 December 2005 1.18pm
If you have a spare room that you might consider renting, could you let me know. (Or a relatively cheap flat.)

My former au pair (Slovak) is now working in London, and is looking for somewhere to live. As is her friend. Both have steady, if lowly paid entry-level jobs. If life is tough for British graduates it is even tougher for graduates from countries where there is very little employment. Both are lovely, reliable, clean, tidy, and non-smokers.

If you wondered where the new army of polite, hard-working and curteous Poles, Hungarians and Poles live, we now know that there are an awful lot of illegal sub-lets which involve high rents and shared rooms. The two of them took what they thought was the best of a bad lot - but it is clearly unsafe and our ex-au pair needs to leave.

Her friend is likely to go back to her previous au pair family in return for some child care. We have offered our sofa, but given we already have three adults (our current au pair is her cousin) and two children in a three bed-room property and though she will be here in the short term, she is reluctant to stay for longer.

Do you have a spare room which you were thinking of letting out? For cash, housework, baby-sitting or perhaps even to have a house sitter. Our ex-au pair is in her mid-twenties, and in over a year we had no issues, and trusted her enough to take our two children to Eastern Slovakia for Easter, where they had a brilliant time. She comes from a close extended family so is equally at ease with older people. I really enjoyed having a younger person in the house who had nice friends, studied hard and made the most of her time in London doing things like volunteer work in Kew Gardens.

I hope James does not mind. If he emails me I am happy to pass on the price of a small ad. (Or.....pay him when I next see him!)

This site has been brilliant for a whole range of things. From pianos to dongles. I am crossing my fingers.

Sarah

Monday 12 December 2005 6.16pm
Sarah,

Please email me - I've just bought a house and have 1 or possibly 2 spare rooms.

chris@cdgsmith.com

Thanks,

Chris.
Thursday 15 December 2005 12.10pm
Hi Sarah,

We are looking for a baby-sitter and possibly a au-pair in the new year ... can you please email me more details deeno999@hotmail.com.

Many Thanks,

Dean

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: