Tall House Southwark Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 14 December 2005 11.47am
can anyone recommend the Tall House 134 Southwark Street, London SE1
Thursday 15 December 2005 9.17am
Hi Soundman,

Was pleasantly suprised to stumble across this place a few months back, though saying that must have walked past before - is that sort of a place, low profile.

Approach from opposite and it looks like some New York East Side tenement so was a litle suprised it was actually serving Chinese (or maybe more pan-Asian, but mainly Chinese) food. The inside was also a little unusual, with quite a lounge-bar feel. In the end we sat upstairs though which was more identi-kit Chinese-restaurant.

Food was of a good standard without being amazing. There was a choice of dim sum which looked worth an explore. Most attractive was the price though which for a bona-fide restaurant (as opposed to a noodle house or whatever) was very competitive - I THINK plenty of mains were under a tenner.

Hope that helps, to summarise decent enough food, interesting surroundings (sit downstairs) and great value for the area.

Monday 19 December 2005 12.51pm
Agree with Bridgehouse-food is good,well priced,nice service (I prefer downstairs too) and there is a cute litlle bar downstairs for pre /after dinner or just 'pop in for ' drinks. There is also an area next the bar just a couple of steps further down to which can be used for private functions.
Take away service is also an option-can't remember if it has a 10% discount for that but I don't think there is a delivery service.Don't quote me though.

Christianna
Thursday 22 December 2005 12.14pm
soundman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can anyone recommend the Tall House 134 Southwark
> Street, London SE1

I went there last Christmas time and it was OK. Food was reasonably good but expensive - nothing special. They didn't have 3 of wines we asked for either plus if was freezing upstairs!
Thursday 22 December 2005 1.02pm
Actually I went in again last night as it happens (I think this thread got me thinking about the place); anyway the menu has changed, has been slimmed down a bit and more 'general' foods rather than just Chinese. The Dim Sum has all but disappeared, I would guess maybe they are not busy enough to justify the size of menu previously offered...

Anyway other than that I would stand by the previous review - have to disagree that it is expensive soundman, my kung po chicken was 5.80, rice extra but still very reasonable all in!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: