Guy Fawkes Night

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 12 October 2001 12.22pm
Hi everyone.

Does anyone know where there will be a good fireworks display this Guy Fawkes night?

Im taking a group of international students and would ideally like somewhere on the river.

Someone told me that London Bridge itself was a good vantage point last year. Is the display still going ahead this year?

Does anyone know who I can call to find out (Ive already phoned Southwark and the City).

Thanks all.

Sunday 14 October 2001 7.12pm
Traditionally there has always been a really good one in Battersea Park. Though last year Wandsworth charged for entry - so we did not go. (Don't drive though as parking is a nightmare, better to take the train from Waterloo to Queenstown Rd or walk from Vauxhall.)
Lambeth normally have one in Kennington Park but cancelled it last year because of 'security'. There was a bit of an outcry, particularly as it was hard to find the basis for this perceived security problem. My guess is that it will be back this year.
Thursday 18 October 2001 2.15pm
Thursday 18 October 2001 4.50pm
Kennington Park fireworks are apparantly cancelled, as are the ones in Brockwell. This time it seems that the problem is money.
Thursday 18 October 2001 4.56pm
<a href="">Click here for details of the Burgess Park display from the Southwark Council website</a>
Thursday 25 October 2001 3.32pm
Oh no - you are kidding aren't you ?? We ALWAYS have pumpkin soup after fireworks at Brockwell (+ the pub of course.....) - where did you hear that they were cancelled??
Thursday 25 October 2001 3.39pm
Blackheath is a bit further out - but far and away the best fireworks I have seen in London!
Wednesday 31 October 2001 9.58pm
From the Chair of Friends of Brockwell Park, and the Chair of Lambeth's Environment Forum, no less, at the last meeting of Lambeth's Parks Forum. (A pretty doomed body, but that is another story.) Lambeth have apologised and promises that it won't happen again, but Kennington fireworks appear doomed. Apparantly there is not a single site in the north of the Borough that is suitable, because space is needed for the fall out from rockets etc. I suggested somehting over the river - other boroughs seem to manage, but.... (so maybe it is the money as well).
Battersea this year costs 3 and they have promised a light show as well as the traditional. And kids under 10 are free.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: