'Baby Shard' proposed for London Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 18 December 2005 10.55pm

Related news & features

Sunday 18 December 2005 11.44pm
Even a skyscraper sceptic like me accepts that If the Shard (London Bridge Tower) is going to take place, it is good news that there is going to be some co-ordination with the adjacent site owners. I suspect this deal was necessary as without their agreement Sellar would have been unable to deliver the promised bus interchange.

IMO it is essential that the design of the new London Bridge station is part of the same masterplan design. The scheme inherited from Railtrack, which is currenly proposed on the timescale as "Thameslink 2000" was an interesting bit of architecture, but distinctly second rate compared with what Piano could do with it. It would be much better if the various landholders got together and swapped some of their air rights etc, to reduce the amount of office building directly over the concourse so that passengers get to see daylight.
Monday 19 December 2005 3.42pm
I have mixed feelings about tall buildings
But I agree about coordinating the two towers,but its not necessary to homogenize evrything,the London bridge area has its own characteristic which is important as well .

It always irritates me when architects say how well the new and old can look together when they are trying to get there building approved .but refuse to incorporate existing structures into there designs ,not because it cant be done but just because they think that would violate the purity of there own design.

I always remember Norman foster saying the twin Towes at wembly wouldn't be in keeping with his new stadium building.

strange how he changes his tune when talking about one of these new sky scrapers in relation to St. Paul's for example .

That proves how opportunistic these architects opinion's can be.

The truth is the new wembly would look infinitely more interesting with the twin towers siting next to it.
And the new London bridge would look infinitely better with the Britain at war museum next to it.

Shards of glass or not..
Tuesday 20 December 2005 12.35pm
I assume you mean the recently cleaned brick building (former offices of the South Eastern Railway) and not the tacky Britain at War "museum" itself.
Tuesday 20 December 2005 5.45pm
yes
Wednesday 21 December 2005 12.48am
At the rate they're waffling the Shard won't be built for at least 10 years.
Get on with it for goodness sake.
Wednesday 21 December 2005 8.12am
Just heard that Multiplex say that Wembly WONT be ready after all......suprise, suprise,,,
Wednesday 21 December 2005 9.30am
This "baby shard" will replace the old 60's block seen to the left of Guy's here.

It will be slightly shorter than this current building - in other words it should improve the view of LBT slightly, This is my own rendering btw:

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 December 2005 9.31am by wjfox2004.
Wednesday 21 December 2005 12.50pm
Doesnt look much like a shard....
Wednesday 21 December 2005 12.56pm
That's the CURRENT building...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: