Broadband

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 20 December 2005 4.59pm
I know this is a tired old subject but can anyone recommend a good provider or those to avoid. thanks
Tuesday 20 December 2005 5.16pm
Am happy with Tesco. The problems begin when you try to get BT to release the Land Line.
Tuesday 20 December 2005 5.24pm
Yes indeed, I moved to TalkTalk and discovered that there were "problems" with BT to release the land line....crafty lot!
Tuesday 20 December 2005 5.32pm
Thanks. So how long does it take to switch from BT to whoever?
Tuesday 20 December 2005 5.49pm
Homechoice. Its also cheaper all round - you get broadband internet and TV for cheaper than you'd pay for even BT broadband alone, let alone adding in NTL or Sky.
Tuesday 20 December 2005 6.44pm
Plusnet are very good. Whatever you do don't go to Tiscali.
Tuesday 20 December 2005 9.02pm
Colin, you asked, "So how long does it take to switch from BT to whoever?". As soon as your intended ISP contacts BT to release the line, BT will come up with myriad excuses as to why the line is incompatible for BB (if BT want to challenge me on this, go right ahead!). You need to keep chasing your ISP as to progress and in addition, call BT several times a day as your ISP have no power to do this.

I have clients who are senior execs in BT and they say they (a) wouldn't touch BT BB and (b) BT are useless. If BT wish to challenge me on this then I'll be happy to provide back-up information. I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why BT left me with no Landline for a week, Two Months Ago.
Wednesday 21 December 2005 1.00am
Scary Paul, I had this EXACT experience.

I had actually ordered to transfer my BT broadband from my previous address and they messup up the order - claimed that no such order exist on my new phone line at the new place. I then told BT Broadband to cancel my contract since it was up anyway. I called up Homechoice and told them to sign me up. Suddenly I was getting panic calls from BT Broadband "Customer retention" department, telling me that sorry, they would install it the next day at 9:30am if I would stay with them.

I said to them: "No sorry, this is not your first screw up and I've had it. I'm giving my busines to some one else."

Well guess, what - all of a sudden BT started coming up all sorts of excuses as to why Homechoice could not turn on my line - and the BT retention guy was still calling me! I told them to go to hell and that if I had to wait 2 months, I would wait and use Homechoice. They released my line.

Its very unethical they way they behave. I am shocked that OFCOM allows them to do business in this way. If was was up to BT, we'd still be in the stone ages, telecoms-wise..

Paul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Colin, you asked, "So how long does it take to
> switch from BT to whoever?". As soon as your
> intended ISP contacts BT to release the line, BT
> will come up with myriad excuses as to why the
> line is incompatible for BB (if BT want to
> challenge me on this, go right ahead!). You need
> to keep chasing your ISP as to progress and in
> addition, call BT several times a day as your ISP
> have no power to do this.
Wednesday 21 December 2005 8.11am
Most intrigued by this thread. I'm new to the "switching business" and having signed up with TalkTalk and got a teeny tiny bill, I suddenly got a bill from BT with all the advanced service charges etc. so I called them and said "Er..I thought I'd switched from you".. "Ah well, you are getting your calls from someone else but you still rent the line from us". So I called TalkTalk and said "Did I misunderstand your sales pitch?" and they said " No No, there seems to have been "a problem" with transferring your line". and said they would re apply for the said transfer. Reading all your comments I realise that this "problem" is just bloody obstructiveness from BT. Thanks for the warning and I will be ON THE CASE!!
mac
Wednesday 21 December 2005 11.08am
Jackie, are you referring to Broadband or just the normal phoneline when you say you've moved from BT to TalkTalk? I signed up with TalkTalk a couple of years ago for normal telephone calls and pay them for the calls, but I still have to pay BT for the line rental - I was told that this was what I had to do. It ends up being quite expensive paying two bills. Just wondered if I could avoid the BT line rental bill....
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: