What is that big silver box structure in the middle of the Elephant and Castle roundabout?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 21 December 2005 10.32pm
hi se1,

Does anybody know what that big silver box structure in the middle of the elephant and castle roundabout is?
Wednesday 21 December 2005 10.51pm
I've always assumed it was a vent for the tube, could be wrong though!
Wednesday 21 December 2005 10.53pm
It's a memorial to Michael Faraday:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/42732

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 22 December 2005 3.16pm
fascinating!
thanks for your reply,
Anyone ever go inside it?

eric
Thursday 22 December 2005 3.42pm
loppy12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone ever go inside it?
>
> eric

AFAIK it contained a substation for the tube - although sources disagree whether it serves the Bakerloo or the Northern Line.

I'm not sure whether it became redundant when LU switched to drawing power from the national grid, rather than generating their own at Lots Road.
Thursday 22 December 2005 6.10pm
when the whole area is cleared to make the Civic Square the Faraday Memorial will be put somewhere else.
Wednesday 5 August 2015 4.33pm
As an apprentice in 1964 I worked on the tooling for the stainless steel panels, at Metal Propellers Ltd., who were in Purley Way Croydon, alas now long gone. These panels formed the outside skin of the structure.

I only new then, that it was to house some electrics for the Northern line. I had the pleasure of seeing it again, only a few weeks ago, whilst returning to Spain on a coach.
Wednesday 5 August 2015 7.24pm
DUNCAN E DAVIES wrote:
As an apprentice in 1964 I worked on the tooling for the stainless steel panels, at Metal Propellers Ltd., who were in Purley Way Croydon, alas now long gone. These panels formed the outside skin of the structure.

Wow: great to hear from one who actually was involved in the making of that great futuristic structure!

jackie rokotnitz wrote:
when the whole area is cleared to make the Civic Square the Faraday Memorial will be put somewhere else.

Fortunately the latest (2015) plans will retain the Faraday Memorial:

Thursday 6 August 2015 10.37am
Is that the Faraday Memorial on the cover of the new Maccabees album?
Thursday 6 August 2015 10.44am
Neil wrote:
Is that the Faraday Memorial on the cover of the new Maccabees album?

Yes it is.

The Maccabees' new album draws much inspiration from the E&C.

They talked about this (and mention the Faraday Memorial) during their appearance on Tuesday's BBC Breakfast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlnIns3bFqY

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: