Borough Market Mystery

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
vicd Friday 23 December 2005 10.42am
Why why why why and why again has Borough Market not painted it's shiny no-longer-quite-so-new extension in the same lovely green colour that adorns the rest of the market???!

Instead, it remains in that ridiculously unfinished looking silver, a look that screams: Don't pay too much attention to me because I'm just an primer.

You've now got a fully functioning Market unit, complete with overpriced posh restaurant upstairs - and all housed in this still unfinished looking building!

For years I looked at it and tried to find an explanation for the delay. My favourite stab at explaining was that the particular shade of green was incredibly hard to get hold of.

But now it seems this IS the final look. Unbelievable! And yet all too believable in this country, where so many buildings seem to remain in an unfinished looking state. What is it with the culture here that just can't be bothered to finish a job, preferring instead to go awol on an infinite tea break??

I'll give you another classic example from our locale: Sometime in the late 90s a new apartment block was built on Clink Street, all very expensive dwellings. Shortly after completion, one of the street level windows was broken. TO THIS DAY IT REMAINS UNREPLACED BUT INSTEAD BORDED UP WITH AN UGLY WHITE BOARD!

What is up with that???????

Advertisement

vicd Friday 23 December 2005 11.28am
Whoops, pretty silly of me to have missed that! Thanks Lang Rabbie.

I've read it now and see that this topic is considered old news. But for me it's a complete ONGOING blot on the landscape and just SO SO obvious that it should have been painted in that beautiful green with gold highlights, thus giving a sense of continuation and completion to the revamped market.

While I found the thread discussion fairly entertaining, I have to say that in almost any other country there simply would have been no debate. All would have agreed with Michael (and one or two others and now me) that the ridiculous, disgusting grey-silver colour looks EXACTLY like a primer and thus makes the whole building look unfinished.

As for that architect's pure BS attempt to defend the indefensible , well he's probably the guy who allowed the new City Hall to use fowl 1960s-style windows instead of the slick 21st century frames that were implied by all the original drawings!

Maybe we can use this thread to discuss the other mystery - the white board window on Clink Street? I would dearly love to know, especially from anyone living in that block, why this eyesore has been allowed to remain on an otherwise decent looking building??

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions