Westminster Bridge's Never Ending Renovation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 3 January 2006 9.45am
So does anyone know how long Wesminter Bridge has been renovated for? Will it ever be finished? I use the bridge most days and I have never actually seen anyone working on it.

Apologies if this has come up before.

Tuesday 3 January 2006 9.50am
We were watching a rerun of "house of cards" a while ago, which must be about 10 years old and there was a shot of the bridge, with the other side being worked on!
Tuesday 3 January 2006 9.50am
According to the signs on the bridge the last phase actually finished ahead of schedule.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 4.14pm
I have been wondering for ages why the hoardings are still up on the upstream side of the bridge... it appeared that the piling work was finished ages ago.

On a similar subject can anyone explain why the council have decided to build an obstruction (extended the pavement) into the bus lane at the SE1 side of Westminster Bridge outside the County hall Lettings Office. This means that when the very high number of buses pull away from the stop they have to pull into the main traffic before then pulling back into the bus lane.

I thought TFL were all for improving the flow of buses but this definitely has the opposite effect and has created an almost permanent traffic jam back across the bridge.

I walk past here about two or three times a day and I am at a complete loss to understand the purpose this newly built obstruction ... there are two traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings in the immediate area so it cant be to help pedestrians to cross.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 4.46pm
That bit that sticks out is rather strange. But it looks like the whole junction around the derelict building is being remodelled, so you'll be able to drive all the way around it. The sign on the not yet active traffic lights there suggests traffic coming off of the bridge will turn left.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 4.53pm
I can't see any benefit at all to being able to drive all round that derelict building. The junction is odd to look at, but worked fine from all directions IMHO.

Can anyone?

[frustrated because the road works there slow me down every evening coming home. even on my scooter. now they've made the road even narrower at the Sth end of the bridge, which means that the bendy buses - which used to content themselves with only 2 of the 3 lanes formerly available, now slew themselves right across the 2 lanes that remain, generally whilst indicating the opposite way to which they intend to turn, just to keep things interesting]

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 5.12pm
and what is happening with that derelict building? It looks dreadful.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 5.36pm
williamn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and what is happening with that derelict building?
> It looks dreadful.

The former "County Hall Island Block" only came 11th in the recent channel 4 Demolition vote.

It is to be replaced by an "aparthotel" - scheduled to open in 2010???

http://www.1westminsterbridge.com/

The developers are trying to flog chunks of to private investors - not sure how/whether their plans have been affected by the Chancellor's recent rethink on property holdings in SIPPS.

Tuesday 3 January 2006 5.45pm
(i) I did wonder whether it was all a conspiracy theory, and the retention of the hoardings was all part of the security cordon around the Palace of Westminster. They appear to be heightening the railings on Parliament Square as well.

However, some quick Googling picked this up from the PLA website:

NOTICE TO MARINERS M35 of 2005

Lambeth Reach. Westminster Bridge - Fascia Replacement

On or about 14 November 2005, for a period of about 18 months, the fascias of Westminster Bridge will be replaced on the up and down stream sides.

The work will be conducted from construction barges anchored close to the bridge. ... A temporary pier will be constructed on the south embankment approx ... 7 Arch will be closed throughout the work. The other arches will be closed in turn as the work progresses.

Persons in charge of vessels are to navigate with extra caution and are to ease down when passing the works.

http://www.portoflondon.co.uk/notice2mariners/index.cfm/flag/2/id/1216/site/maritime

It seems that although the strengthening work to the bridge deck has all been completed, while they were taking it apart the contractors found that the fascias to the bridge needed replacing.

(ii) I thought the latest remodelling of the junction would close Addington Street to through traffic? However, I'm none too sure just what is happening.

Section 106 money [planning obligation]as agreed for the previous scheme. This includes 798,490 towards improving public transport facilities, 1,399,950 towards upgrading Westminster Bridge Road viaduct and improvements to Lambeth Palace Road, Westminster Bridge Road and York Road and 311,100 for the upgrading of Leake Street viaducts (if not undertaken as part of Addington Street development).

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 3 January 2006 6.09pm by Lang Rabbie.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 6.28pm
Further Googling brings up TfL Surface Transport's Business Plan 2005
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/pdf/business-plan/2005/inv-prog/2-surface.pdf

This suggests the project won't be completed until March 2010 !!! By my reckoning this is longer than it took the Victorians to build the bridge.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: