Recycling (Bermondsey Street)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 2.25pm

Was wondering if anyone had any advice about recycling in the Bermondsey Street area. I used to have the old green box and orange bag system when i lived further south.

At the moment i'm keeping all the stuff to recycle and then carrying what i can to a mates house who has orange bag/green box collection.

Does anyone know the nearest place to recycle or if there's been any talk of the council collecting recycling from homes. I looked on the Southwalk Council website and the nearest places i could find were all next to Waterloo.

It breaks my heart to see huge bins outside flats crammed full of cans, bottles and other stuff that could be recycled.

Thanks
Tuesday 3 January 2006 2.46pm
Ed
If you live in a managed block Southwark will be keen to install recycling bins for paper, glass and cans. They did this effectively and quickly when our Managing Agents at the Alaska Buildings took it up with them. There used to be a doorstep recycling system when we lived on Bermondsey Square.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 2.51pm
>
> Does anyone know the nearest place to recycle or
> if there's been any talk of the council collecting
> recycling from homes. I looked on the Southwalk
> Council website and the nearest places i could
> find were all next to Waterloo.

There are a number of recycling facilities which are supposed to exist a heck of a lot closer than that ! Have you looked on the map on Southwark's website ?

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/RecyclingPages/RecyclingBanksMap.html

That said, I often find these centres are either full or mysteriously disappear from time to time. Email Southwark Council (environment@southwark.gov.uk) - they are usually very good at letting you know what is around your area. As Mark says, they will sometimes organise recycling in managed blocks of flats as well.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 3 January 2006 2.52pm by Siduhe.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 3.20pm
(In our managed block) we have can, bottle, and plastic (bottles/milk cartons only) recycling bins. They get collected regularly, and seem to work very well.

However, I still end up throwing a lot of other recyclable stuff away. Chief things seem to be (i)recyclable plastics other than bottles (ii) compostable waste.

I don't want to enter a discussion about worms again, but can anyone help with suggestions for getting rid of the things I can't currently recycle?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 5.56pm
sounds daft, but i'm giving all my green stuff to a work collegue with two guinea pigs and a tortoise. Keeps me feeling smugly green, my bin emptier and her pets fat and happy. They won't do onions, but neither will wormeries...is it worth asking around. you roffice?.. no idea about other recylable plastic.
Tuesday 3 January 2006 7.11pm
Good idea, fabhat. My only worry is that my work colleagues might think I'm odd enough as it is.

Wednesday 4 January 2006 12.08pm
mine think i'm odd - therefore no odder for doing this...
Wednesday 4 January 2006 1.15pm
Good point. I'd not thought of it in that way before.

Wednesday 4 January 2006 11.17pm
I once read somwhere of an elderly lady who gave the advice, "Cultivate your eccentricities while you're young - then when you go Ga-Ga, no-one will notice".
Wednesday 11 January 2006 12.12pm
Ed
There are recycling bins around the corner from you on Tyers Gate

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: