Bottled water

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 4 January 2006 10.22am
Just read on bbc news that Devon County Council spends 74,000 annually on bottled water for staff......how can we find out how much Southwark Council spends?
Wednesday 4 January 2006 10.24am
You are KIDDING...how is that possible? Do the Council Tax payers know?
Wednesday 4 January 2006 12.43pm
You could write in and ask!
If they are not forthcoming - and no reason why they should not be - there is always the freedom of information legislation to evoke.
I am curious as to why the concern? Is it the cost - which seems small considering how many employees the council has - or is it the fact that bottled water is supplied to council workers at all?
Most employers, I believe, now supply bottled water for their employees. It is standard practice in every office I can think of. Indeed the 'Water Cooler' has taken the place of the photo-copier as the focus of informal interaction. Surely you are not saying that council workers should be deprived of the same basic facilities as the rest of us simply because we near-directly pay their wages?
Wednesday 4 January 2006 12.56pm
Big numbers are always impressive - but Devon CC has 24,000 staff, so that's 3 per person per year. Maybe we should worry how ***little*** they spend?

I'm sure I can manage a litre or two a week (more like per day in Summer), and those large 18.5 litre water cooler bottles cost us under 6 plus VAT, so that's a whopping 9 litres a year. Where's the story here for the BBC?

Absolutely lots of fun to be had under the freedom of information just asking odd things: how many floor mops the ministry of defence gets through, how much is spent on anti-freeze by the royal family etc etc. Guaranteed to get someone indignant, so easy journalism...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 4 January 2006 12.59pm by markandjoan.
Wednesday 4 January 2006 12.58pm
Agreed with Janorak on this (thought there was a touch of the sensational about it), felt like a bit of an anorak moment here so here goes...

Quick google lists 16,558 full-time staff at Devon council.

74,000 divided by 16,558 = 4.47 each annually for bottled water.

Doesn't sound so bad like that does it? That's my twopenneth anyway...
Wednesday 4 January 2006 12.58pm
Damn! Beaten to it!
Wednesday 4 January 2006 12.59pm
My memories of working for another London Council was that the office was so overcrowded (though within legal limits - this was checked!) and poorly ventilated that there might have been a walk out if there were no water cooler.

We had to pay for tea coffee and milk - and even had to buy the kettle. There was no tap in the office so water for the kettle had to be got from the sink in the ladies loo. it was also often simpler to buy your own pencils and pens than to get replacements through the office.

Actually it was a good place to work, but noone could claim that the accommodation was plush. So I'm with Janorak. Let Devon employees have their bottled water.
Wednesday 4 January 2006 12.59pm
Quick draw McGraw strikes again...
Wednesday 4 January 2006 1.17pm
Am I alone in wondering what's wrong with tap water?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 4 January 2006 1.19pm
I work for a local authority, we don't get bottled water, tea or coffee but we do get pens and a computer!!!!! I can see why local residents get up tight when they see council wasting money.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: