Sectioning off Potters Field

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 6 January 2006 2.02pm
Does anyone know what's going on with Potters Field - river-side beside Tower Bridge?

There are large wooden posts being cemented in, and it looks like they're about to section off a large area of the grass. All looks rather long-term.

Friday 6 January 2006 2.07pm
Presumably for the long-awaiting re-landscaping:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/840

It was due to start last year IIRC.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 6 January 2006 4.54pm
Does anybody have any info on the latest plans? I thought it was still at consultation stage. The website at http://www.potters-fields-park.com hasn't been updated for nearly 2 years, and at that time still had lots of "conceptual" gimmicks like periscopes, etc.
Friday 6 January 2006 5.24pm
Here's the planning application for the approval of details

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 8 January 2006 11.39am
The fencing off is not the beginning of the renovation work. It is just the resurfacing of the riverside path replacing the existing stone with the same stone as around the GLA building (possibly slate). It will be done in two phases so that the path remains open throughout the works. The main renovation wll probably start in April.
Monday 9 January 2006 9.14am
Apparently, the paving around the GLA building (and therefore the whole of the More London development) is faced in blue limestone (despite its grey appearance).

Before the main renovation begins in April, will the residents get a chance to comment on the final designs? I'm rather worried by the way the planning applications talks about "conceptual" stuff like Delft steps, periscopes and what-not. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but why do local councils insist on cluttering public spaces with vacuous art installations rather than good-old proper park landscaping?
Monday 9 January 2006 10.30am
Martin
Thanks for your input regarding the stones. I think it will look good once it is finished. I have nothing against the present paving but I suppose it will be better to have the whole path looking the same.
As regards the design of the park, I think the public consultation has finished. I believe the periscopes may well have been abandoned. I am going to a meeting on Wednesday afternoon and will try and find out if the final plans can be put in the public domain.
Monday 9 January 2006 1.39pm
I Just noticed that the Potters Fields development presure group web site has been improved.
does any one know what's happening about future demonstrations.
I've been to busy dealing with my own problems.and I didn't get
any reply when I e mailed the web site.

http://savepottersfield.org.uk/index.html
Wednesday 11 January 2006 4.39pm
I asked at the meeting for the final plans to made available and it was agreed that they would shortly be put on the Pool of London Partnership site and also on the Southwark site.
Advace work is now commencing to complete the boundaries to the north and west of the Park and to widen the river walk.
These advance works are scheduled to complete in March.
The main construction of the park will commence in April , planting will start in October and it is anticipated that the Park will be completed and opened in December of this year.
This means that the Park will be out of action or the whole of this summer but it was thought best to do it as soon as possible and in one hit, rather than over a prolonged period.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: