Hughes V Campbell

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 7 January 2006 5.57pm
I wonder if the Lib Dems will make another mistake and choose Minges Campbell over Simon Hughes. Surely Minges is too old.

Remember this thread from March 2004. http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/11944/page=4

Lang Rabbie | Saturday 20 March 2004 11:54AM
Phoney wrote:
>I wonder why the Lib Dems chose Charles Kennedy over Simon >Hughes as party leader?
Sunday 8 January 2006 7.19pm
I think this is Simons last chance to break into the big time. Enough of these meaningless protests on
lost causes like standing outside City Hall over the demise of routemaster buses, and make a comvincing
bid for the leadership. And just why isn't Hughes popular amongst his colleagues?

http://politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/category/lib-dems/
It was always said that whenever Kennedy had threats to his leadership his camp would say -"You don't want Simon Hughes." For although the runner-up last time is said to be the choice of the activists he is not popular amongst his Westminster colleagues.

[edited by JH to fix curly quotation marks which had broken the RSS feed]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 9 January 2006 1.45pm by James Hatts.
Sunday 8 January 2006 8.31pm

Menzies has far more chance of gaining votes than Simon Hughes - it's a matter of how they come over in the media.

The same was apparently true of John Major - in person he was very charismatic - on TV and radio he was grey.

Equally, Simon Hughes would be clearly the most left wing leader of all three, which would worry the voters.

On a lighter note, I can't help thinking of the Crazy Frog song every time I hear Menzies (Ming's) name said on the radio - you know - "ming de de ming ming ming...."!

Regards,

Loafer
Monday 9 January 2006 12.00am
I've heard that Peter Mandelson is an excellent and hugely popular MP in his constituency however much the majority of us perceive him. Can't but agree with the above that it's all a matter of Presentation. I watched a TV show recently, I think it may have been Robert Winstone (the one who looks like Groucho Marx) who was analysing Body Language - Simon Hughes scored hugely.

Digressing slightly more than Loafer- onto Craggy Island and the "I hear you're a racist", episode - Ming the Merciless.
Monday 9 January 2006 9.40am
As mentioned in this site's blog, there was a profile of Hughes in Saturday's Independent, which identifies most of the reasons why some Lib Dem members might have doubts.

I can think of quite a few Southwark faces who are likely to be supporting Menzies Campbell.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 9 January 2006 9.44am by Lang Rabbie.
Monday 9 January 2006 10.44am

Paul,

I understand your body language issue, but just because you think someone is a nice guy, doesn't mean you want to elect them to lead the country...!

BTW, Peter Mandleson is no longer an MP. He resigned in 2004 to become a European Commissioner.

Regards,

Loafer
Monday 9 January 2006 3.23pm
Simon Hughes certainly comes over to the general public as energetic and commited and seems to put alot into local concerns.
But more broadly he doesn't have that leadership zest and sparkiness that the Libs really need to get them launched out of their 3rd party position.
Monday 15 October 2007 5.08pm
So it took the LibDems 20 months to realise that Minges Campbell was the wrong choice. I imagine now they will make another mistake and elect Lembit Opik hoping that his cheeky girl liaison has made him trendy.
Monday 15 October 2007 9.35pm
The misspelling of Menzies Campbell's name is unfortunate, to say the least. It might suit Opik rather better. I can't see his winning over the Lib Dem faithful, though. And Hughes isn't the answer. The next Lib Dem leader will be someone most of us have never heard of, who will steer the party even further into oblivion.
Tuesday 16 October 2007 9.44am
Simon Hughes has already he said he won't stand for leader. On the news last night they showed 4 possible candidates, but I think Chris Huhne was the only one I'd heard of. They wouldn't choose Opik would they? It would be a bit like electing Boris Johnson as Tory leader...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: