Falmouth Rd & Trinity St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 4 December 2002 2.17pm
Prompted by a comment in the long discussion on congestion charging... but perhaps an issue sufficiently separate to warrant a new thread.

What has happened?

Trinity St was shut about 4 months ago (the road from The Roebuck to Borough High St, almost parallel to Gt Dover St).

This resulted in traffic going down Falmouth Rd, which branches off Trinity St, again by The Roebuck. Trinity St is a large, wide road, with old, expensive Georgian terraces and is a protected/conservation area.

Falmouth Rd is wide enough for 1 car to pass down, due to parking on both sides of the street. Traffic volumes increased by a factor of 10, yes that is 10 times as many cars as before. This created significant problems for the residents, pollution, noise etc. It is not sustainable for this much traffic to be using Falmouth Rd (then Harper Rd) as a rat run.

After a consultation it was decided to make the 25m stretch from Gt Dover St to Falmouth Rd one-way, hence they blocked off part of the street. This was to try to keep traffic on the main arteries.

However, since Fri 29 Nov, there have been masses of cars who believe that the one-way sign doesn't apply to them, and so have been turning off Gt Dover St. Not only is this illegal, but it is also dangerous, with some near misses (of pedestrians) already occuring. Drivers, knowing that they are wrong to continue to use this rat run, are driving faster, to avoid being caught.

This has forced traffic back onto either New Kent Rd, or Gt Dover St (from Bricklayers). Lond Lane is also very congested. Hence the delays to people's journeys.

Trinity St was (I believe) originally shut due to pressure from residents, who wanted it back to being a nice quiet square. I imagine some residents are reasonably influential. However, though this benefits them, the effects on the surrounding area are disproportionately worse. Hence the change of last weekend.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but as it stands continuing to use Falmouth Rd is illegal. Hence there is now police presence to stop people from doing so. I understand that they will soon be issuing tickets, rather than just acting as a deterrent.
Wednesday 4 December 2002 7.06pm
i suggest you refer to the old "last chance to drive down trinity street thread" for some facts
Thursday 5 December 2002 9.35am
I'm not quite sure which "facts" you believe have been omitted. It wasn't intended to be a rant from one point of view or another, someone wasn't sure why the traffic was so bad on Monday morning, so I outlined the series of events from the closure of Trinity St to the blocking of cars from Gt Dover St, which occured on Friday.

I understand that the consultation over Trinity St has been going on for years. Your point in the other thread about [some people's worries over] a perceived threat to local shops (presumably on Harper Rd) may well be true. But the fact is that the evidence has shown that concern to be entirely unfounded.

I have enormous empathy for anyone living in Trinity St/Sq. However I don't think you can disagree with the fact that as a wide road it is better suited to taking more traffic than Falmouth Rd. Of course, ideally, as you state in the other thread, the traffic should be kept on the main arteries.

The fact that Trinity St is wide enough to take traffic at speed will cause people to drive recklessly, but that is no excuse for them doing so. It does however suggest that Trinity St is more capable of taking a large volume of traffic that Falmouth Rd.

I think we are basically in broad agreement, that is that neither set of residents should suffer in the way they have done in the past, which is why I can't see which "facts" I overlooked in the original post.

Interestingly now TfL have removed the one way portion due to excessive congestion on the main roads. And traffic is now back to using Trinity St as a rat run, presumably because they are going up Globe St.

So now we are both back to square 1.

There clearly needs to be a sustainable soluiton that all local residents can accept. Though it is not clear what that is.
Thursday 5 December 2002 7.16pm
I am doing what Ken says....... travelling on a bus to work....15minutes to get down Great dover Street near the Dover Castle, then another five minutes for the bloody stupid traffic lights to allow trraffic to continue to London Bridge....
I'm really really fed up with the traffic.....

Friday 6 December 2002 12.23am
Good for you Jan! I still can't quite believe that people are asking questions such as, "What is causing this gridlock"?
Friday 6 December 2002 2.29pm
You seem to have a somewhat cycloptic view on these things, Greenangel.
Friday 6 December 2002 3.08pm
does that mean he's cack eyed? or one eyed Stiofan..?
Friday 6 December 2002 3.22pm
I was going for the one-eyed viewpoint Jan, car bad.
Friday 6 December 2002 8.15pm
i agree with some of your points Stiofan - are we both cycloptic, or just me?
cars, being animate objects, can't possibly be bad can they?
Sunday 8 December 2002 2.21pm
Well... a sustainable approach that is fair to all residents - how about closing the ends of Trinity Street/Great Dover Street, Falmouth Road at around Number 40, Brockham Street, Globe Street/GDS, and Cole Street at either end - ie having a single point of entry into the Estate at Trinity Street/Borough High Street... that would affect us all equally, remove any through traffic, and give all of us and the children safer streets?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: