Restaurants

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 9 January 2006 1.53pm
a few places tried recently...

"simply indian" = "simply awful" -tiny portion sizes, barely filling half the take-out box. ridiculous amounts of oil, no flavour to the curries. spinach dish tasted like the smell of linen. couldn't eat more than 4 mouthfulls (was starving).

want some of the most fantastic curries ever? try the Bengal Clipper or hara -they're in a completely different league, utterly fantastic, easily the best curry houses in london.

"the garisson" bermondsey st. -food is good, if they have the mussels in, order them, they're even better than the ones at belgo. service is utterly appalling though. last time we were sitting there for 50 mins and nobody came to take our order, even as we left the staff were chatting amongst themselves -doubt they noticed we were walking out.

"bermondsey kitchen" -come a long way since it first opened. foods good, service is good, give it a try if you haven't already.

"cucina" -gourmet pizza delivery company. you'll never look at pizza the same way again. fabulous.

"glas" -new swedish restaurant. pretty unusual (if you're not swedish, i presume). excellent quality food and service. small place so best to book in advance. a must-try.
Monday 9 January 2006 2.23pm
Ralph your right about simply indian....we had it last week and the amounts were pitiful... expensive for the amount.....and not particularly nice. I wondered if they have changed hands?
Monday 9 January 2006 2.40pm
Sad to hear Simply Indian was bad for both of you. We had a Simply Indian last week (or maybe 10 days ago). It was up to its usual high standards. I've only ever had cause to complain there once, when it tasted like all the food was triple-salted. But that was a one-off, and food before and since has been great. I've never had small portions either.

No connection, except that it's nearby and has generally been a welcome neighbourhood resource.

Without wanting to sound like an afficionado of takeaways, I also love cucina, and the associated japanese delivery service (called something like "demazae sushi")

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 9 January 2006 3.51pm
There's a new little Indian called 'Chillies' on St georges Circus. It doens't look especially inviting as a restaurant but have had take-away and it was very good.
Monday 9 January 2006 4.48pm
The Kings Arms, Tooley St, corner of Three Oaks Lane. Serve one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. Really great atmosphere. Lovely for a Sunday lunch. And great 'sunday roast' too.

Unfortunately not open for lunch on saturday - shame...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network