Elephant & Castle: a film

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 5 December 2002 4.19pm
I'm a film student (unlike most students I'm a local boy) at the London College of Printing and am working on a short film about the past, present and future of Elephant and Castle, due for release in May. Would like to hear from members of the community who would like to participate, or who have any ideas they would like to contribute. I would like this film to be a reflection of the life of the area and community, so any feedback/contacts/suggestions would be most welcome.
Get in touch.
Cheers.
Sunday 8 December 2002 2.53pm
presumably it will be a horror film
Monday 9 December 2002 3.19pm
Mick
What kind of film are you planning? There's tons of interesting material about this area, past, present & future.

Rupert
Monday 9 December 2002 10.40pm
Alright rupert, thanks for getting back to me... my project has two seperate strands, one a short film about 30 mins in length which will be along the lines of a visual journey through the ages of elephant and castle. Music and film clips will be interspersed with short interviews and voxpops from the people of the area; rather than taking the form of a documentary this will be a window into the life and lives of e&c.

What i would really love to get hold of are old pre-war film clips, as well as information on the 1970s development. Most of all I would like to contact old time residents of the area.

The second strand will be in the form of an interactive cdrom with an educational viewpoint.

contact me with any ideas, would love to include any material, unusual anecdotes or interesting material.

Hope this doesn't sound too arty farty! that's not the intention (somehow elephant and arty farty don't really go together... the intention is more along the lines of a reflection of the community.
Wednesday 11 December 2002 12.56pm
Mick
Sounds great. I can almost certainly put you in touch with a couple of old-timers who have lived here since before the war, & speak well about how the area has changed. I also know a certain amount of anecdotal stuff about E&C.
You can contact me direct rupert.smith@virgin.net
Wednesday 11 December 2002 2.32pm
Jan Lane - you should take part in this - you know loads about the area and how it's changed over the decades.
Wednesday 11 December 2002 8.08pm
alright lads, and Jo Jo :-)), thanks for your replies...

Jo Jo, who is Jan Lane? would love to include old time elephant residents in the film...so get in touch with any ideas...
Nice1, Mick
Sunday 15 December 2002 3.36am
mick - i take it you'll be there filming when they bow the blessed dump sky-high once and for all. that will be a cinematic moment, no doubt.
Monday 16 December 2002 2.15pm
Jan Lane is an old crumblie wrinkly....in the fifties there was a fish smokers where Smeaton Court is now...apart from the smell there was always rows of fish threaded on skewers....alongside near the arche there was a coal yard, the horse were stabled there..behind the arches facing New Kent Road where Albert Barnes House is, us scavengers used to collect coal that had dropped from the carts , it helped supplement the tarry logs we nicked from road excavations, they burnt a real treat!) , sometimes it dropped before the coalman noticed, or they probably did but was just being kind..... their kindness wore off when we took an old sunchair ( pushchair) round to collect it... I think where the Marigold is was the pathway to it....

A small grocery shop on the corner of Rockingham street, Meadow Row, small terraces upto N.K.R.....more later if anyone is interested as lunch is calling....
Monday 16 December 2002 7.32pm
hello Jan, thanks for your message, i would love to hear some more of your insights... get in touch
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: