Primary schools

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 10 January 2006 11.35pm
Our daughters are due to start school soonish. We live near Bermondsey Street and wondered if there was anybody out there who could give us some first-hand information on the local schools, not the information we can get from the Ofsted reports or the DfES league tables.

Many thanks.

Wednesday 11 January 2006 10.36am
Boucher in Grange Road, I think that even if it's a Church school they have to admit a percentage of non church goers.

Townsend street at the Bricklayers?
Wednesday 11 January 2006 12.16pm
there have been some posts on this before. I live near you and my little fella started school last year. The schools near us that are popular with parents are Tower Bridge but they tend to take pupils from the other direction-i.e. towards Jamaca road as Snowsfields school in our direction. Charles Dickins also has a good reputation but again tend to take pupils from towards the Borough due to Snowsfields. Both schools are very over subscribed as is Boucher which has a small catchment area. If you are Cof E Cathedral also has a good reputation but again is over subscribed.

I went round all the schools when putting my sons name down and asked lots of parents what they thought-and the above were the most popular -Snowsfields did not come out very well so i did not even consider it. The Grange in TBR some parents loved and some hated.

I was lucky enough to get my son into my first choice - a school near my parents rather than near me-as i work full time and they pick him up but that was due to a very sympathetic head and Govenors and the fact he had cousins at the same school.

Put your childrens names down for as many schools as you can as due to over subscription - to be honest i think it is a matter of luck if you can get into a school of choice unless you live very close to the school. My experience was that they do not allow you to do a tour of the schools but even from going to put names down you can get a feel for the atmosphere of the school. also talk to as many other parents as you can at playgroup etc as they will have some knowledge through siblings and family etc.

Good luck!
Wednesday 11 January 2006 3.04pm
My son went to Cathedral School, it was fantastic and was for a while a Beacon School. He was very happy there.
Monday 9 October 2006 2.39pm
I am quite new to this forum, but as I can see how many people got the great advice from the experience of others, I would like an advice about 2 primary schools (sorry, they are not in SE1 but SE17 area).
I am moving to Congreve street soon and want to put my son to or Townsend school or Surrey square school. He is in Year 3. I read a bit on this forum about Townsend which would be my nearest but as my son wants so much after-school club which they don't have, we are thinking about Surrey square. Does anybody have an experience with the above schools? Thank you.
Tuesday 10 October 2006 3.00pm
Surrey square has a new head teacher who was deputy head at Charles Dickens before and is very young and bouncy and generally FANTASTIC. On the other hand I think before she got there the school was a bit rough. But go and talk to her (Liz Robinson) and see what you think.
Tuesday 10 October 2006 3.26pm
By year three places will have opened up in some of the most sought after schools, as many families move out of London as their children get older, or switch them to the private sector.

It may therefore be looking further afield, or at Church schools, assumming you dont have a problem mixing religion with education.
Tuesday 10 October 2006 5.21pm
Thanks Nick and Sarah. I dont have a problem with church school, generally I want the best for my son (as every parent of course). What I really want is a school where he can develop his art interest, maths ability and sports activities. He really wants after-school club. As we are moving from Peckham area and from not a very good school (although he doesnt think so)I want him to be happy at a new school and thats why I am so concerned to give him the things he likes. Otherwise it will be a sad change for him and harder for me too.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: