Chambers Wharf

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Saturday 14 January 2006 9.49am
While on my constitutiomal this morning, I found a new riverside space. It's just east of the houseboats. East of Tower Bridge. Continue along that road (Bermondsey Wall West), heading east and, where one is obliged to turn right with the road, after about 100metres, turn left along a white wall to a new view of the river.

Get in quick though, the courtyard looks like it might end up being the private space of a new block nearing completion.
Monday 16 January 2006 2.08pm
well spotted Harry, i also went for a nosey yesterday afternoon. A good new angle of the river and Tower Bridge.
There were some other people around too and from talking to them I got the impression that you're right, within a month or two, it will become a private courtyard.
go see it while you can people.
Monday 16 January 2006 5.12pm
I think it's part of the Thames walkway,or will be once they knock down Chambers Wharf next door.
Tuesday 17 January 2006 8.57am
Nice one- I will check it out...sharpish. Talking of Chambers- is it inevitable that it will be knocked down and another historic building turns to dust? It has been laying dormant for as long as I can remember, and I quite like its stubborness.
Tuesday 17 January 2006 10.56am
Does anyone actually know what is planned for Chambers Wharf? I think we used to keep all of my then employer's archives in part of it until a few years ago.

I have a vague idea that there was a planning brief that made it mandatory to reinstate Bermondsey Wall as a pedestrian route through the site, but I wasn't sure if there was also going to be a continuous riverside walkway?

Some bits of the current buildingdo have quite a Tate Modern feel about them, which it would be a shame to lose.

[Apologies to the editor for prolonging this SE16 discussion in the SE1 forum ! ]
Tuesday 17 January 2006 11.15am
I recall being told by an estate agent that Chambers Wharf is owned by 'the Kuwaitis', whatever that may mean. The place has certainly been a brooding presence in that area for a while, as it cuts off any feeling of connection with the river. I would expect any proposal for development there to include trying to keep that stretch for 'exclusive' private access.

BTW, there is an exhibition coming up at the Docklands Museum later this year of photgraphs taken along the river bank, under the structures lining the banks and crossing the river, and includes an opportunity to visit the currently hidden side of Chambers Wharf

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17 January 2006 11.16am by janefs.
Tuesday 17 January 2006 11.36am
Janefs wrote:
I recall being told by an estate agent that Chambers Wharf is owned by 'the Kuwaitis', whatever that may mean.

I think that with the postwar consolidation of the various wharf companies, Chambers Wharf ended up as part of the Hays Company's estate - also the former owners of Hays Wharf and all of the site now occupied by London Bridge City.

The Kuwaiti Investment Office bought a minority share in Hays in 1975 and gained full control in 1980. AFAIK when they sold on the business interests (of what is now Hays plc, the business services company) they kept all of the Thames wharf properties, although I think they sold on their interest in the site that became the "More London" development.

As they are the representatives of the Kuwait Royal Family, I think the KIO is still exempt from all UK taxation. claims that all of the property asses were sold in the 1980s, but it wouldn't surprise me if some sites are held by other wholly owned subsidiaries of the KIO.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17 January 2006 11.42am by Lang Rabbie.
Tuesday 17 January 2006 12.44pm
We were told chambers wharf was used to store achives...and gold! Also it's unsuitable for conversion so will be pulled down.I think there is something strange about the foundations,which makes it a problem.Built around water or somethimg...not sure.It's still in use as a wharehouse.
Tuesday 17 January 2006 1.15pm
I have been told that the Chambers Wharf site (I think it was Chambers Wharf, certainly it was a site in that immediate area and CW is the largest potentially free site there) will be used as a storage site for the shard of glass building. To minimise lorries waiting round the construction site to load/unload, deliveries will be made to Chambers Wharf and only taken to the construction site when the materials are needed immediately. This seems a sensible way to reduce chaos at London Bridge.
Tuesday 17 January 2006 1.17pm
ps. is this new area the patch in front of where Flint Scenery used to be?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: