The subways at Elephant & Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 17 January 2006 7.17pm
It is good news that the infamous subways at the Elephant are finally to go, but before they do...

IIRC Southark Council gave the subways a makeover c.1990.

Does anyone know who the artists responsible for the murals and the tiling designs were?

And does anyone think any of the murals are worth recording for posterity before the subways get filled with concrete?
Tuesday 17 January 2006 8.06pm
It was a student out of the College of Printing, there is a tile with his name on some where down there!!
Wednesday 18 January 2006 10.04am
when are they going?
Wednesday 18 January 2006 10.38am
sarahmc wrote:
when are they going?
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1953
The first of the southern subways is going in June.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 18 January 2006 2.09pm
I believe the tile commemorating the unveling of the murals etc is in the tunnel under St. George's Road.
Wednesday 18 January 2006 2.31pm
It's on the left wall as you walk down the slop away from the college, it's just before you get in the tunnel.
Thursday 19 January 2006 7.31am

Better take some more pictures of the tunnels soon it would seem. This picture courtesy of StefZ.
PJ
Thursday 19 January 2006 3.02pm
I think that it is great news that the tunnels are going this year. Does anyone know when work is starting on the new High Street?
Thursday 19 January 2006 3.20pm
Let's not get carried away with the idea that all the subways are going straight away; the south roundabout will be remodelled this year, but there is no timetable for the northern junction yet.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 19 January 2006 3.25pm
Is it just me, or does anyone else hum "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" when going under those cheery underpasses?

{I'm not knocking the tiling. If anything, the tiles go a long way to making it a less hostile environment. It's just that, even taking the tiles into account, it's still pretty bleak}

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network