Whores lie down

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 19 January 2006 1.43pm
Time Out says Horselydown (Way) is a corruption of 'whores lie down' as it used to be a notorious red light district in Southwark. Can anyone shed any (red) light on this? I would like to think it was true...
Thursday 19 January 2006 2.06pm
In the days before street cleaning (and even in the days after street cleaning), I think there's a fair chance that anyone offering sexual favours in Horsleydown Lane might prefer to stay standing up.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 19 January 2006 2.16pm
As far as I know, Horselydown is a contraction of Horse Lie Down because of the Dray horses for the breweries. Clink Street and surrounding area was the Red Light District and indeed at certain times of the year you can still occasionally hear an ecstatic moan followed by the chink chink of coins! Okay so I made that last bit up.
Anonymous User
Thursday 19 January 2006 2.17pm
Time Out also mentions the more likely, less saucy origins of the name - that it was a resting place for horses.

If you go back far enough much of Southwark was known for alcoholism and bawdiness I believe.
Thursday 19 January 2006 2.19pm
These days we're all much more circumspect.
Anonymous User
Thursday 19 January 2006 2.24pm
Speak for yourself (TIC)
Thursday 19 January 2006 3.12pm
Mind where you put your tongue, young Birdie!

Anonymous User
Thursday 19 January 2006 4.47pm
Gosh - misunderstanding of my TLA could end in (OMG) proper confusion, if not emabarrassment.

LOL
Thursday 19 January 2006 4.51pm
OK, you win. What's TLA?

[TTFN}

Anonymous User
Thursday 19 January 2006 5.01pm
A Three Letter Abbreviation of course!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: