Nelson Square photos

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 21 January 2006 2.53am
Some time ago some of you kindly directed me to photos of Penton Place, Lambeth. Now I am hoping that you can do the same for the old buildings Nelson Square in Southwark - the ones that were under threat in 2000.
Margaret in Oz.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 January 2006 10.06am by James Hatts.
Saturday 21 January 2006 10.17am
There's a picture here:

It's also depicted in a stained glass window at nearby Christ Church:

Here's a previous thread about the buildings:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 22 January 2006 1.07am
Dear James,
Thankyou for those links - I found them all very interesting. However, that building is too late for my purposes. I think that the buildings that I want must have all gone before 1887 when that one was built.. An old 1871 map shows a wide square with a garden in the middle and set-back terrace houses with small gardens. The square also appears in a map of 1843, also with a garden in the middle.
Margaret in Oz
Sunday 22 January 2006 4.17pm
From the London County Council's photo collection housed on the European Visual Archive site:

image id: EVA1009599/SC/PHL/01037281/1338392.0 NELB9748
title: Nelson Square, Blackfriars
description: Three and four storey Georgian houses on north side of square: front elevations with people standing on balconies
photographer: Greater London Council
date: 1940
in collection: London Metropolitan Archives (lma)

Margaret, I think you are getting confused by the entry on the Christchurch site.

The houses are much older than 1887. They were built as residences for wealthy city people after the opening of Blackfriars Bridge, but the growth of industry on the south bank and easy rail commuting to leafier suburbs meant that the social status of the area around Nelson Square had plummeted by the time that the Womens University Settlement took them over.

See the Poverty surveyor Charles Booth's note of the square's status in1899 here and his (by modern standards breathtakingly sexist) record of his interview with the ladies of the settlement here

They are now the only remaining houses around the square, which was redeveloped after bomb damage with 8-10 storey blocks of flats.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 22 January 2006 4.36pm by Lang Rabbie.
Monday 23 January 2006 1.49am
Dear Rabbie,
That is absolutely amazing - exactly what I wanted. Thankyou SO much.
Margaret in Oz
Monday 23 January 2006 3.26am
Dear Rabbie,
I only just opened the links to documents that you offered - and what a fascinating insight to the past they proved to be. Thankyou. By the time they were written however, my family were already in the Swan River Colony - having arrived in 1843. It is interesting though that, among our family memorabilia, we have a large door key which has always been SAID to fit a door in Trafalgar Square (where Nelson's Column is). It now seems certain that time has confused the old story and it is after all, a house in Nelson Square that it would have fitted. I am truly delighted with the photo.
Monday 23 January 2006 9.10am
Lang Rabbie - thank you for the EVA link - now I'll never get any work done. Endlessly interesting!
Monday 23 January 2006 9.52am
Rabbie and Paul,
And neither will I. It is all fascinating stuff!
Margaret in Oz
Monday 23 January 2006 11.52am
great to see photo's of the square and its history. i am a nelson sq. resident.
Tuesday 24 January 2006 12.19am
Dear Mojono,
I believe that you have a childrens' playground, roses and a vegetable garden in your park now - and you all volunteeer to maintain it. Is that so? Sounds like a wonderful community.
Margaret in Oz
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: