Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 22 January 2006 11.50pm
I was wondering what the name was of Tower Bridge Road before the bridge was built in 1894.
Monday 23 January 2006 9.00am
Freemans Lane ran parallel (West) to Horselydown, South of that was Church (something) - I looked at the Charles Booth maps of London Poverty.
Monday 23 January 2006 10.07am
The lower part, from Bermondsey Square to Bricklayers used to be called Bermondsey new Road, and a lot of the upper part wasn't built until around the time the bridge was built, although as Paul says it did follow the course of some old roads (Church Cross Street was the other one).

http://www.motco.com/map/ have digital copies of 10 old maps of London that are worth a look when you have a few hours to browse....

Monday 23 January 2006 10.22am
The southern end was built as the Bermondsey New Road, which ran as a southern continuation of Bermondsey Street to the New Kent Road. Confusingly I think that Jamaica Road was also known as New Road at some point in its history.

large c.1890 map on www.ideal-homes.org.uk site
(it is shown on some other maps as Bermondsey New Street)

Edited to add: beaten to it while actually doing some work!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 23 January 2006 10.24am by Lang Rabbie.
Monday 23 January 2006 11.02am
Thanks everyone! I love those old maps!
Monday 23 January 2006 1.37pm
I found a very interesting map when searching for placenames a while ago, its shows London in 1827 and you can get really close up views, see the link below.

http://users.bathspa.ac.uk/greenwood/home.html

John
Sunday 7 December 2008 5.19pm
Has anyone any idea when Tower Bridge Road was constructed from Tooley St to the Bricklayers Arms Junction and when the tram tracks were laid I think it was between 1900/1906

Also trying to find out when Dixs Place was built tenament blocks which was between Horny Lane and Pauline St Bermondsey now demolished. I think it was 1840/1850
Sunday 7 December 2008 5.39pm
The extension of Tower Bridge Road south of Tooley Street can't have been before 1894 as Ordnance Survey maps show buildings still in situ.

The London Councty Council file in the London Metropolitan Archives has a start dates of 1895 and an end date of 1908.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: