Little building

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 25 January 2006 9.27pm
Does anyone know the use of the little white round building on the corner of Bermondsey street and Long Lane. It was for Sale a few years ago, and I wondered who would buy it.. and what it would be used for.
Wednesday 25 January 2006 9.37pm
It's the Watch House.

A previous reference on the forum:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 25 January 2006 10.20pm
Before works began on Bermondsey Square, the archeologists were using the building as an office/tea room.
Wednesday 25 January 2006 10.59pm
From London Footprints:

"The building in the south west corner [of St Mary Magdalen Graveyard] was a watch house built in 1810. From here graves could be protected against graverobbers attempting to supply corpses to Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals. It was also where the Bermondsey watchmen reported for duty (10pm in summer, 9pm in winter) before setting off on their rounds. Any malefactors or disturbers of the peace could be detained in the watch house. The premises were later used by Ashsford's Laundry."

If you want to know more about grave-robbers then I highly recommend "The Italian Boy" by Sarah Wise: it's a fascinating account of an infamous trial, in the 1830s, of grave-robbers who turned to murder in order to supply corpses to the London teaching hospitals.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 25 January 2006 11.00pm by The Lady Miss Jo Jo.
Thursday 26 January 2006 12.26pm
It's Grade II listed and is owned by Southwark Council, I believe. You can find more details on (you have to register).

There used to be a second one just up Bermondsey Street which is commemorated by the trompe-d'oeil on the side of the rectory garage was done about 40 years ago (when people used to happily knock down old buildings!). There is a picture of this at

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: