Our MP??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Thursday 26 January 2006 8.12am
I'm a bit of a labour defector of late, so was quite proud to be in a llb stronghold when I moved here, and kind of backed Hughes by default.

Looks like it's unfolding day by day now. I kinda guessed something was up when his odds (on the spread betting sites) started bouncing around abit - now it just seems likes a sexuality war. Mings will now win, and I'm not sure thats what the party needs.

Lib dems in total self destruct? I hope not.
Thursday 26 January 2006 8.16am
It does look like he's shot himself in the foot a bit. I like Hughes and hoped he would be a serious contender in the Lib Dem race (I'm not currently a Lib Dem voter myself!). I've heard rumours of Hughes sexuality before - someone recently described him as "hetroflexible" and so I was quite surprised to hear him deny homosexuality last week. I heard on the news this morning that he has defended his position by saying "he doesn't think sexuality should be an issue" but by denying it only last week, he's made it an issue. As a young(ish) voter, sexuality doesn't bother me but denial does.
Thursday 26 January 2006 9.40am
It's all a big fuss about nothing. He was asked if he was gay, he said no, and now it's been revealed he's not gay. What's the problem?
Thursday 26 January 2006 10.16am
I have denied many many things in my past...Honest Mum I did go to school...Honest Mum I was a virgin on my wedding day...Whether or not he fancies fellas is not relevant...Many lies are told in politics and who you are bouncing around the bed with is not one major lie...

p.s. I hope my mum dont get computer skills! ..:-)
Thursday 26 January 2006 10.16am
We're all continuing to make it an issue by talking about it.
Thursday 26 January 2006 10.29am
The Lady Miss Jo Jo wrote:
It's all a big fuss about nothing. He was asked if he was gay, he said no, and now it's been revealed he's not gay. What's the problem?

Isn't he only "not gay" in the same way that nice Mr Clinton "didn't sleep with" that woman? I'm with misselaineous, above, it's the lying that does him damage.

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Thursday 26 January 2006 10.35am
The fact that he won the seat on the back of a "Vote for the straight man" style campaign when up against Peter Tatchell does annoy me but I like Simon Hughes - he's a decent local MP who has not yet been homogenised like so many others. Is he party leadership material though?

Rather than balming him for lying perhaps we need to look to ourselves for creating a society in which anyone feels it is necessary to conceal their sexuality for career advancement, or even just for a quiet life.
Thursday 26 January 2006 10.38am
We do live in a over-curious society, but I don't think that absolves him for lying.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 26 January 2006 10.43am
Blimey. I think I'm agreeing with cider man. :)

OK. Playing devils and all that. Who else have we got in our b'luvved constiuency.? (not a trick question)
Anonymous User
Thursday 26 January 2006 10.46am
Ivanhoe wrote:
We do live in a over-curious society, but I don't think that absolves him for lying.

They ALL lie!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: