Bermondsey Abbey Archaeological Dig

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
alan chapman Thursday 26 January 2006 2.10pm
Passing Bermondsey Square on Tuesday on the top of the 188 bus I was able to look over the hoarding at the dig that is taking place. It looked as though some really interesting old walls had been unearthed.
Does anyone know if any information regarding this dig has been released to the public?
Bermondsey Abbey was such important building in the Middle Ages that if there are substantial remains found we should seriously consider how they can be preserved.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 1 February 2006 9.24pm by James Hatts.

Advertisement

Anonymous User Thursday 26 January 2006 2.35pm
http://knowledgeoflondon.com/bermondsey.html

There's a little on here alan. A friend of mine is studying archaeology at the moment and was there a couple of weeks ago. I'll have to get her to post what she knows as I've forgotten already!
alan chapman Thursday 26 January 2006 2.39pm
Thanks Birdie - I will watch this space!
Jan the old one Thursday 26 January 2006 3.01pm
they'll only build over it like they did with trocette mansions..:-(
Anonymous User Thursday 26 January 2006 3.21pm
They are preserving and building over it Jan. At least it is all recorded though.
alan chapman Thursday 26 January 2006 3.34pm
Wouldn't it be nice if the dig unearthed enough of the Abbey to warrant a change in the redevelopment so that the it could be preserved for posterity!
Anonymous User Thursday 26 January 2006 4.49pm
http://www.pre-construct.com/

Alan - the web site above is that of the commercial archaeologist employed by the developer at Bermondsey Abbey.

The remains are being preserved in situ. Pre-construct liaise with Suothwark's curator to ensure this is done correctly without harming the remains.

Keep watching this space for further info!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 26 January 2006 4.50pm by Birdie.
Jan the old one Friday 27 January 2006 9.39am
Birdie - thats a great link....southwark has 74 sites! :-)
zee Tuesday 31 January 2006 11.37am
Absolutely agree.Fantastically interesting to be able to read these details about the local area.Thanks Birdie!
Jan the old one Tuesday 31 January 2006 1.41pm
could members of the public have a look an see? before they cover it up?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions