Paul Smith opens shop at Borough Market?!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 29 January 2006 8.54pm
It seems that the Floral Hall portico isn't the only denizen of Covent Garden to appear in Borough Market.

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/news/paul-smith-at-borough-market.html

Paul Smith wrote:
I opened in Borough Market because I love the area! I love the buzz; it is full of energy and many characters of London. In many ways it reminds me of Covent Garden all those years back. My first shop in Floral Street I opened in 1979 when Covent Garden was absolutely empty apart from the Opera house, Ballet school and a fruit and veg stand.

I like Paul Smith's quirky style, even though I can't even afford the ties these days, but I'm concerned that he will shortly be followed by other "edgy" international fashion brands.
Sunday 29 January 2006 9.04pm
Go in and suggest he should be selling off stuff cheap after 4pm on Saturdays....
Monday 30 January 2006 8.42am
Popped in on Saturday - a real mix of great ephemera...and wallets at 130. Ouch.
Monday 30 January 2006 5.09pm
Good news. I wouldn't mind more of those shops around the market!
Tuesday 31 January 2006 9.03am
Never mind Paul Smith. Give me Robert Dyas!

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 31 January 2006 11.13am
Great news! Need some decent clothes shop in the area.
Tuesday 31 January 2006 11.23am
Here Here!!!!

quote Ivanhoe]Never mind Paul Smith. Give me Robert Dyas![/quote]
Tuesday 31 January 2006 5.01pm
Borough Market is trendified enough as it is - already it doesn't serve the vast majority of residents in the area due to its high prices - Paul Smith's shop will exacerbate this trend and serve to push those on lower incomes out of the area entirely... The Elephant development is having much the same effect...
Tuesday 31 January 2006 5.49pm
jonnyboy122 wrote:
Borough Market is trendified enough as it is - already it doesn't serve the vast majority of residents in the area due to its high prices - Paul Smith's shop will exacerbate this trend and serve to push those on lower incomes out of the area entirely... The Elephant development is having much the same effect...

The bit about high prices is true - except for fresh veg, where frankly most places in the area, especially the supermarket chains "Metro" offerings, charge the same price or more for vegetabls of far lesser quality.

In that respect Borough is a god send for anybody of any income in the area. I'd say that on fresh breat and some of the butchery stuff its decent too.

The gentrification is well underway though, as you said and Paul Smith is just another signpost along the way.
Tuesday 31 January 2006 9.13pm
jonnyboy122 wrote:

Borough Market is so successful as it provides a great selection of great foods; would you rather it wasn't here? Prefer more Lidls/ fried chicken takeaways/phonecard shops? Why can't we have a variety of retail outlets to choose from?

There are no decent clothes shops in the area so the addition of a shop selling English finely-tailored clothes is a welcome addition in my book.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network