Peter Tatchell MP

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 30 January 2006 8.23pm
After all the palava about Simon Hughes, isn't it time Peter Tatchell stood for MP at the next election, so the we could give him another chance.

Much as I respect the work Mr Hughes has done as a local MP, I can't reconcile the fact that he has lied though his teeth, and was quite prepared to be elected on such a homophobic campaign. I always thought he had some integrity, but obviously not.

I'd vote for Tatchell if he stood for MP. What do you guys think?

BTW it goes without saying: I have no connection etc etc
Monday 30 January 2006 9.49pm
From everything I have heard and read, Simon Hughes is, despite his recent half-truths, a decent and hard working MP.

That being said, Peter Tatchell seems a fantastic balanced guy who, at the risk of misquoting manages to "keep his head, whilst all around are losing theirs".

I read an interview recently - he lives in a very small flat on a south London council estate and, apparenly, regularly still has to cope with hate mail and abuse. The fact that he has remained as he has through all his trials and tribulations is a testament to his charachter.

I think the best option would be for the Labour party to nominate him up against George Galloway next time around. Now that would be interesting.

Tuesday 31 January 2006 4.54am
Peter Tatchell is now a member of the Green Party, if I'm not mistaken, so it is unlikely that the Labour Party will nominate him for anything.
Tuesday 31 January 2006 10.05am
That's a shame.

It would be nice to have someone decent in the Labour party, other than Kate Hoey.

Tuesday 31 January 2006 12.22pm
... John Prescott?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: